Teach down from a stand position - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Teach down from a stand position

Hello. Chico knows how to sit, down and stand, and can stay in those positions for a good amount of time, but I am trying to teach him to go from stand to down. He keeps wanting to sit, then go down. Last night he was in a stand, and I tried to lure him down with hot dog, but all he would do is have his head down. I couldn't get him all the way down. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chico-GSD-10/13/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

Re: Teach down from a stand position

I am sure you will get a lot better advice, but what worked with Dakota was to use a hot dog and as I moved it to the ground I said down and put light pressure between the shoulder blades as soon as his body hits the ground fully I say "yes" (which is my marker) and treat. Then stand, heal a little than repeat the excercise.

Good Luck!

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

Hmmmmm...how about putting a leash on him, give him the down command immediately followed by slight downward pressure on the leash/collar then reward when he's in the down.

Quick google found this. Looks like they kinda obscure the treat so he has to lay down in order to get it

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/sit-stand-amp-down

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

Take the treat and bring it down between the dogs paws and then WAIT.

If the dog puts their front legs and head down but not their butt ... WAIT. Eventually they will get tired of being in that position and they will bring their butt down.

At the moment the butt hits the ground release the treat with TONS of praise.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Knighted Member

I had a harder time teaching this to Dakota to do this with a word command and or a hand signal. You can use the command down or drop (in prep. for drop on recall). I decided to use down, but our instructor uses drop.

What you want is a spinx down. Start with the dog standing and take a treat and lure them down by moving the treat behind their front paws. If the dog is backing up to get the treat try positioning the dog's back end closer to a wall.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for all the replies! I will try tonight (I am at school now) with bringing the treat between his front paws, and see how it goes. Now I can't wait to get home.......

Chico-GSD-10/13/2007
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I tried luring with a treat between his front paws and it worked!!! It took him less than five tries before he figured out what exactly to do. Thank you everyone for all the help!

Chico-GSD-10/13/2007
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Ditto! I tried this with Anna tonight and she's just about got it...as long as I have the treat. We'll try to wean off the treat the next day or two. Thanks for starting this thread and thanks for the great training tip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Knighted Member

You have some good tips on the training of it - I just want to add one more thought on the process.

If you look at how a dog lays down from a sit, and how they lay down from a stand, it can be quite different (and I purposefully train it so that it's different). For my dogs, laying down from a sit means that they walk their front legs out to lay down and often curl onto one hip. This is the down I use when I want them to lay down and stay.

The down from a stand, for my dogs, is that they fold backwards and go down into a "spinx" position, square on their bellies. This is the down I use for drops on recall, down in motion, utility down (for the third level of AKC competition obedience). Because they have to fold backwards, it's an excellent way to use for the moving drops because they HAVE to stop their forward motion in order to fold backwards. On the first down, because the front legs continue forward to put them into a down, you often get a dog that goes forward a few steps (or more) before downing.

Now, because these are two different behaviors (to the dog they're two different behaviors even though they both result in the dog laying on the ground), I teach them separately and with DIFFERENT COMMANDS. The down from the sit is simply "down", the down from a stand is "platz". I highly recommend that you use a different command for the down from a stand. If you don't, at least you should consider that the dog truly doesn't understand down from a stand until it's explained to him. Sitting often becomes part of the cue for a down for many dogs, and when the sit is taken out of the equation the entire exercise needs to be trained just like the dog had never learned a down at all.

Because I like the fast, backwards-folding down (it's a great emergency down) I tend to teach that first. I actually teach stand and down long before I teach sit to my dogs.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: IliamnasQuest......
If you look at how a dog lays down from a sit, and how they lay down from a stand, it can be quite different (and I purposefully train it so that it's different). For my dogs, laying down from a sit means that they walk their front legs out to lay down and often curl onto one hip. This is the down I use when I want them to lay down and stay.

The down from a stand, for my dogs, is that they fold backwards and go down into a "spinx" position, square on their bellies. This is the down I use for drops on recall, down in motion, utility down (for the third level of AKC competition obedience). Because they have to fold backwards, it's an excellent way to use for the moving drops because they HAVE to stop their forward motion in order to fold backwards. On the first down, because the front legs continue forward to put them into a down, you often get a dog that goes forward a few steps (or more) before downing.

Now, because these are two different behaviors (to the dog they're two different behaviors even though they both result in the dog laying on the ground), I teach them separately and with DIFFERENT COMMANDS. The down from the sit is simply "down", the down from a stand is "platz". I highly recommend that you use a different command for the down from a stand. If you don't, at least you should consider that the dog truly doesn't understand down from a stand until it's explained to him. Sitting often becomes part of the cue for a down for many dogs, and when the sit is taken out of the equation the entire exercise needs to be trained just like the dog had never learned a down at all.

Because I like the fast, backwards-folding down (it's a great emergency down) I tend to teach that first. I actually teach stand and down long before I teach sit to my dogs.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Very good point, and I am going to use a different command for down from stand position. I'll keep "down" for down from sit, and I'll start using "drop" for down from stand. Thank you.

Chico-GSD-10/13/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page