How To Get A GermanShepherd Get Used To 2 Old Cats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

How To Get A GermanShepherd Get Used To 2 Old Cats

Can anybody help me because we have 2 old Cats (15 Years Old) And All of us want Sasha (Our GSD) Used to them in a easy and simple way we dont want to put them in a room and lock it cause we feel the cats may die of a Heart-Attack Or Shock But we just want the cats to be in charge of the dog and all of us like this.

Top: Dad And Mum

Lower Of The Top: Ben And Me

Lower Than The 2nd:Vickey And Bobbey

The Last:Sasha

GermanShepherds Are The World.

Pets:

2 Cats Called Vickey And Bobby - 15 Years Old
1 Germanshepherd Called Sasha - 17 Weeks Old

Got Out GSD:23/1/09

Websites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Elite Member

Re: How To Get A GermanShepherd Get Used To 2 Old Cats

I have 2 cats also they both hate dogs adn they especially hate Jack... Hope you get answers I need help also Jack will not stop chasing no matter what I do

KATHY
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Excactly the same What Sasha Does she wont stop chasing them so we just let them what they do and eventually the cats win but Sasha starts playing with them again

GermanShepherds Are The World.

Pets:

2 Cats Called Vickey And Bobby - 15 Years Old
1 Germanshepherd Called Sasha - 17 Weeks Old

Got Out GSD:23/1/09

Websites:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Diabla never met a cat until a couple months ago... with the exception in her previous house of the neighbours cat she was allowed and encouraged to chase away. Then we came here were my roommate has an 8 years old cat. From day one I showed Diabla that she has to consider the cat a piece of furniture and that it is. No exceptions. Only once she tried to chase the cat because she saw her running, but I heavily corrected her and it was the last time. I do believe than there are some times in which one hard punishment is better than soft corrections once and again. I don't mind about the cat, but I want a peaceful house, to keep in good terms with my roommate and a dog with both eyes.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Drake harasses our cat Muffin. I tell him to "leave it" meaning the cat. He leaves the cat alone but then 5 minutes later gets bored and chases the cat around the house. Muffins is tolerating it though, he does paw at him a little. I just do not want Drake to get too rough with Muffin.

So I'd like to know a way as well to have Drake ignore the cat.

Jillian

Drake-1 year old GSD- Birthday December 6th

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Knighted Member

It took 7 monthsd for my 11 year old cat to get used to Shadow, who came to our house at 6 months old. He was overly curious and scared our cat.

I just keep reintroducing and controllling the situation...they eventually were coming to get treat together at treat time, with 2 other dogs. My cat loves treats and to be brushed, so I would do these things to make her relax about Shadow, and would keep redirecting Shadow to leave her alone.

OK, that all worked out...then I got a JRT... Still working on that one....sigh. He is different because he acts like he wants to kill her....BUT there has been progress.

GOOD LUCK!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Master Member

Hmm my new girl I believe is going to be a cat eater.

I took her down to my folks place and she goes into full on prey mode. No hearing, no reaction to anything verbal, no reaction to even tasty meat treats.. nothing.

A 2x4 across the head might snap her out of it, but seems like nothing less would..

Funny, there are 20-25 small deer coming through every day, and she didn't chase them. I gave her every opportunity but was careful not to encourage her to at all. She was interested but didn't chase.

But even after a couple of days she didn't get better with the cats.

Any ideas on diverting this "must get cat" behavior? Or maybe an e-collar or something would work?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Hehe,

When we took Drake to the park it was getting late and we were near a real thick area of the woods. He must of heard deer out there because he all of a sudden stopped in his tracks and held his head high and grumbled and had a low bark.

Other than that the only other thing he barks at is poor Muffins. I even saw him putting his teeth around Muffins butt and legs! And he whines when he chases the cat around or sees him walk into the same room.

I am sure he is just getting use to it. But, still waiting for a miracle to happen where they can both lay by eachother without chasing around the house.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

Hey--just a word of caution: there are several people on this board whose german shepherds have killed their cats and small dogs. I would hate for any of you to become one of them.

Your cat MUST have a safe area. I use a gate with a door in the bottom but you can also use a regular gate and raise it up a little at the bottom so that the cat can get under it. My Kai was terrible with Cleo. I kept them separated and never, ever let him chase her. I taught him to lie down immediately when he saw her b/c that is an incompatible behavior to chasing.

Rafi is excellent with Cleo and he knows that he can't even think about chasing her. You really can't be too careful.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM

I tell Drake to leave the cat. Then I call him to me and order him to lay down, usually by his toys. He listens but not for a very long period of time.

I had to tell him to leave Muffins alone at least 10 times today. I really dont have an area for the cat. I can shoosh him to the basement though and Drake hasn't even attempted to walk down those.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page