Jumping/ barking chasing people - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Jumping/ barking chasing people

Georgia is soon to be 10 months old and all around a great girl.
A few problems/concerns we are having is her excited jumping on us, even if we turn our backs on her and try to ignore her she still chases us around to jump up. This concerns me because i do have a three year old daughter that Georgia sometimes knocks over while she is so worked up and excited.
Also she is great with all people/children/other dogs and is wonderful on our outtings but the problem we are having is her barking and chasing after people through our fence at people walking on the sidewalk, we have tried m any things to get her to stop but she is just so determined almost like its a game to bark and chase people through the fence.

my questions is how do we get her to stop jumping on us, and stop the barking/chasing through the fence?

Any ideals?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Jumping/ barking chasing people

Oh my I have the same fence problem with Bella, barks everytime she sees the neighbors or their dogs and runs down the fence following. This is the back yard abuts my neighbors house but they are gardeners and out alot, I think their getting mad at me. I always call her and say I am sorry. Oh gesh.

On the jumping part bella did this for awhile to, we turn our back and yelled no, also we put up our knee and yelled no. It worked!!!

Now for the fence running Help! someone told me to get a electric colar and zap her. I thought it was awful! Is there a better way.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Haha yes same as Georgia does, following the people along the fence, She doesnt mean any harm but her bark does sound fierce and i think some people passing by get annoyed.
Which i dont blame them i would too, And im trying my hardest to distract her from the people walking by bringing her favorite toys out, calling her etc. But nothing seems to work!

Also, We turn our backs on Georgia and say NO! But she just keeps following us around in circles still jumping wether it be on our chest or our backs. Im 5'1 so when she jumps on me its right and my neck/chest area and its painful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 PM

We have the same problems with our 1 yr old girl, Wini. I can't wait to see what others have too say!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Knighted Member

maybe you can say OFF instead of NO? We also did that right when we thought she was going to jump. Also my husband yeld it and she listens to him better than me, can't stand it. she caught on.
Lots of praise when not jumping and maybe treats. Last resort roll up a newspaper and hit the counter with it and say no, the loud noise they don't like it. Have it in your hand and just keep practicing, the newspaer helps me stop the rough house I just bang it on something and they stop.

But when she is lose in the yard I can't get her to stop barking at the neighbors. I need advise there too.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

We don't have the barking fence problem, but our rescue contact has it times 10. To maintain relations with her neighbors, even though she has an 8 ft stockade fence, any time one of her fosters starts barking in the backyard, she is out there like a shot and brings them back in and they are crated. They get to chill and try again. They quickly get the idea that barking is unacceptable and they don't do it. Ever.

Dogs have triggers and favorite things like we do. If their behavior caused them to lose the thing they want (being in the yard, whatever), then they quickly learn to modify their behavior. You just have to be VERY consistent and they'll follow suit.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Master Member

I can only tell you what I did and it worked for us... Both my dogs had this problem. First, never have them outside if I am not there and second I redirect them as soon as they see someone else in their yard. I find if they are engaged with something like chasing a ball or playing with me they have no interest in anyone else. Eventually they just learned to ignore the other people.

Tina and Dave - Volunteers for Precious Paws Rescue - Barrie Ontario
Approved foster
Proud Owners of:
Beni gsd Dec 31, 2000 - Sept 5, 2009
Lia gsd & Mas Survivor
Render July 9/91 - Mar 31/2001
Autumn Jan 1979 - Oct 1990 (Sheltie)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I ditto what Tina & Dave said, my girl is 9 months and goes charging the fence when my neighbors are out, so I have been redirecting her attention to a toy or some sort of fun play time session and it has worked she has now started to ignore both sides of my neighbors as well as their own barking golden. I never let her outside without me as it is, so the redirecting her from them is easily accomplished.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

See thats the thing, She has NEVER been outside alone, and like i was saying i always bring her favorite ball out and try to redirect her as soon as i hear someone walking, but she completly ignores me and just goes on a chasing barking spree.
We have neighbors on both sides of the house extremly close but she doesnt chase at them only people walking on the sidewalk, We live in a very busy area with four lanes of heavy traffic directly behind the house so there is constant noise and people walking. As soon as she hears them walking she runs straight to the fence barking away, i go after her and squeak her ball to redirect her, and i cant get her attention for even half a second.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Knighted Member

Melanie,

Bella too she forgets about me and off barking at the neighbors. I call her and she keeps going I must look like a crazy lady. My yard is big and chasing her won't do. She will come for her bag of treats after a while of me calling and shaking the red bag but then I feel like I am rewarding her barking or does she think for coming?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page