Teach my dog not to herd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Teach my dog not to herd?

I know he's a ShepHERD and it's instinct to herd, but what's the best way to break it? He's 6 months old and chases our 4 year old lab around while she's trying to fetch her frisbees and nips at her heels and she HATES it!!

KC, proud owner of...

Kaiser, "The Tornado"
Baron, "The Pacifier"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Teach my dog not to herd?

Give him a ball or something he values to carry in his mouth...I have to do this with Onyx. She still will herd, but won't nip because of her ball or frisbee in her mouth. She knows she needs to have something in her mouth, and I remind her often!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Only one dog gets to fetch at a time in my household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Well he doesn't want to fetch. Our lab (Sadie) is obsessive over frisbees...as soon as she's outside she grabs her frisbee and won't let go unless you're going to throw it for her. Sometimes Kaiser will grab a different frisbee or ball and walk around with it in his mouth but if you throw it for him, he just stands there and looks at it, then he goes back to chasing Sadie!

KC, proud owner of...

Kaiser, "The Tornado"
Baron, "The Pacifier"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Master Member

I would like to know more about this too. Our Shepherd nips the heels of other dogs constantly. I talked a behaviourist and she said that Kiah has extremely strong herding instincts and one way to deal with it might be to get help from somebody that actually trains dogs to herd cattle. She felt that they teach the dog not to actually nip the legs. So if anybody here has a working Shepherd that has been trained not to nip, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also watched a video of Kiah playing with another Shepherd and said that they were doing really well together. It was normal Shepherd behaviour and they were not over the top at all. HOWEVER, other dogs might not react to this type of play in the same way another Shepherd would. And I have seen this first hand as we have a lab X over to play sometimes and Kiah often seems to scare him.

So again, if anybody here teaches Shepherds correct herding, I think there are at least two of us that could do with some help.

Jackie
Northwest Territories, CANADA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

OK further tips and suggestions --

Take dogs out on a leash. Do obedience with each dog first (after toilet break). Then leash your GSD & play fetch with Sadie, then tether Sadie with her lead & play fetch with the GSD. If he doesn't fetch then go ahead and put it & him up if you want to play more with Sadie.

In my experience, a GSD is less likely to develop a fondness for a frisbee that is always there. Put up the frisbees when they are not "in use." You also want to have soft frisbees because the hard ones shatter.

Like most "dog thought" it sounds real simple once you get it figured out. It's the easy stuff that seems to elude me for a while.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Alright, I'm going to try the whole fetch at one time thing...Kaiser's just not really motivated by food or toys. But maybe with Sadie out of the picture, he'll give it a try. Sadie on the other hand, will do anything for a frisbee- she's the most obedient dog I've seen, on AND off leash. She can hold a down stay for more than 5 minutes (I'm sure longer, but I haven't tortured her with that yet), for the $0.99 toy! With the herding thing though, he doesn't just do it when she's trying to fetch- that's just when she gets most annoyed by it because fetching is a serious business for her. He does it all the time to her. She's getting really annoyed with him...

KC, proud owner of...

Kaiser, "The Tornado"
Baron, "The Pacifier"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Sadie WILL, you understand, explain that at some point. She will explain it very effectively. He will then back off.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Haha! I'm waiting for that to happen...so far it's been a few growls- she's gonna blow her lid!

KC, proud owner of...

Kaiser, "The Tornado"
Baron, "The Pacifier"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Quote:I would like to know more about this too. Our Shepherd nips the heels of other dogs constantly. I talked a behaviourist and she said that Kiah has extremely strong herding instincts and one way to deal with it might be to get help from somebody that actually trains dogs to herd cattle. She felt that they teach the dog not to actually nip the legs. So if anybody here has a working Shepherd that has been trained not to nip, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also watched a video of Kiah playing with another Shepherd and said that they were doing really well together. It was normal Shepherd behaviour and they were not over the top at all. HOWEVER, other dogs might not react to this type of play in the same way another Shepherd would. And I have seen this first hand as we have a lab X over to play sometimes and Kiah often seems to scare him.

So again, if anybody here teaches Shepherds correct herding, I think there are at least two of us that could do with some help.

I'm seriously thinking about taking her out to one of the local farms that do herding training and just learning to train her to herd right, and respond to me while doing so.

I'm hoping it'll also help provide a release for prey drive and help with control when she sees a cat or squirrel or such as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page