Bicycle tire obsession - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to codyherrin
Bicycle tire obsession

alright she is almost 6 months old now. And i want to be able to ride my bike and have her jog next to me to burn some energy here and there. Problem is that she seems to be aggressive with the tire, all she wants todo is get in front and grab onto it. Im able to hold her back right now but in a few months will be kinda hard if she ways 75 pounds. Any ideas on getting her to ignore the tire and just run???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Re: Bicycle tire obsession

6 months is way too young to be doing biking with a dog, that can really damage thier developing joints
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 AM

When is it safe to bike with your dog? My two are almost 17 months and I need a better way to exercise them. I was thinking biking but I am cautious about their joints and have kept all the activity as low impact as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Sisters_GrimmWhen is it safe to bike with your dog? My two are almost 17 months and I need a better way to exercise them. I was thinking biking but I am cautious about their joints and have kept all the activity as low impact as possible.
One board member told me it was okay to do higher impact activity over a year, another board member told me over 18 months... it's hard to say, exactly, so just use your best judgment. I can say, however, that under a year is too young.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM

I too would wait on the 6 month old dog but in the mean time I would teach her to "heel" using a head halter, Gentle Leader or Halti. You can control her head and mouth better that way. Walk the dog while walking your bike, dog on your left and bike on your right. Then when she doesn't bite the tire just ride very slowly on the bike keeping her by your leg and not allowing her to get to the tire. Over time she should concentrate on the run and not the tire. Training takes time but you can condition her NOT to bite the tire by the time she is old enough to really run along the bike.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Master Member

At 1 year old you should go to your vet and they will check to make sure all growth plates are finished closing and tell you when to start higher impact exercising. Usually by 1 year old but then even with in a breed each dog will be different that is why it should always be discussed with the vet first.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page