to ignore or correct. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

to ignore or correct.

OK so when I start new things with Lily or sometimes just old things after teaching her new things she goes a bit uhh how should a put this excited? stressed? maybe. Well what she does is act like she doesnít know what I am asking of her and will bark once or twice at me.like today when all I wanted to do was for her to touch the bowl with the treats in it(she does this all the time). She wanted to pick it up and give it to me. If I told her no or drop she would just sit and bark at me once or twice as if to say hey thatís what we did yesterday(we started retrieve the remote yesterday)! She doesnít want to listen to touch though she knows what touch means she would just sit and bark at me once or twice.

She has done this at other times when teaching other things. Should I just ignore the barking at me or should I correct it. At times I have corrected it and on different occasions I have ignored it. Though neither seems to help that much. What would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Re: to ignore or correct.

I would say she's protesting. She's telling you she's not going to do it by 1.) simply refusing to and 2.) barking when you continue to tell her what you want her to do.

I'm trying to remember what we've done when Jerzey's done this... correct or ignore. Um, I think we would give a "No" and repeat the command that we wanted her to do until she did it. All I know for certain is that we would not stop giving her the desired command simply because she was barking at us... In the end, we had to "win" and that meant getting her to do what WE wanted her to do, not the other way around (aka ending the exercise.)

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Re: to ignore or correct.

Nikon does this to me when he either 1) didn't hear or isn't sure what I asked for or 2) he's really worked up (in drive, or I'm using a very high value toy). "Speak" is his favorite command, so if he's not sure what I want or if he's really excited, that is what he offers, lol. When he barks at me I simply say "nooooo" in a low voice, wait a second or two, and repeat the command again with a hand signal. If he's still barking, I know that he's just too worked up or he doesn't know the command as well as I thought. You don't want the dog to win, but you don't want to correct the dog into obeying either. You want to know why the dog is barking (is it one of the two reasons my dog barks? If so, back up a few steps in training the command, or use a reward that is more neutral).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page