Problem jumping at windows - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Problem jumping at windows

Problem jumping at the windows.

I just adopted a 3 yr old GSD who is neutered 3 weeks ago.
I would welcome advice on how to get Hunker to not jump on the sofa and mangle the blinds at the window when I am not home. I have a small living room and moving the sofa away from the windows is not an option. The warm weather is coming and soon the windows will be open and I don't want him going through the screens. He had this problem with his previous family, I don't want to crate him while at work as his behavior in the house has been fine, except for the windows. He does not do this when we are home, he does not attempt to go up on the furniture as I have let him know that is not acceptable from day 1 and he was quick to lie on the dog beds instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Problem jumping at windows

I would crate him or contain him to a room without windows. The only other option is to block off the windows. I did have this problem with Basu and ended up completely blocking off the window sill and that solved the problem.

If that is not an option then please safely contain him elsewhere so that he does not hurt himself.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

I would crate him until he settles down. It is for his safety.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
I live in a small bungalow which is windows all around and they are low. He only does it on the front facing windows by getting on the sofa. We don't have any rooms without windows. I was hoping someone may have used a technique that discouraged their dog from doing this. I may have to crate him as last resort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page