Biting the leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Biting the leash

My pup has begun playfully biting at and holding onto the leash when we are on a walk. He only does it when he is really excited, like when we first leave the house, normally he walks just fine. What should I do when he does this?

If I just stop and remain motionless, I still have to hold onto the leash, which turns into a game of tug for him, even if I turn around and ignore him or sit down. I have stood still for at least 10 minute before on the sidewalk, waiting for him to release the leash so we could continue, but to no avail. The only reason we completed our walk was because he saw a squirrel elsewhere and became focused on that, releasing his grip in the process.

If I bring out treats and do obedience drills with him, he goes through the drills beautifully but when we finish and I start walking, he starts biting the leash again. Obviously I can't just let go of the leash on the sidewalk.

He also grabs onto clothing - skirts, jeans, jackets, and does the same thing when we're walking and he is too wound up. He just doesn't seem to get the idea that biting leash/clothing = stop walking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Biting the leash

Put a high value toy in his mouth and use it only for walks, or training. The chewier the better, soft squishy ball works for Onyx when she has to mouth something. Just like we have a need to chew gum when nervous or anxious, dogs use their mouths to get the energy out.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Aspen does the same thing and it just looks like she is taking herself out for a walk!! Sorry no info on how to stop but I think it is cute! Aspen always stops carrying(BITING )her leash once we start to walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Heidi will do that with the 6ft leash if we are going for a truck ride. She doesn't pull or anything so I let her get away with it.

There was a few times for laughs that I just threw her the handle end of the leash and I carried the buckle out to the truck...she listens pretty well, but I still don't do that often.

Todd

Abby - Adopted 11 July 2011

Heidi - RIP (3 May 2011)
Run free little girl, you gave me the best seven years of my life.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

Yep! They're smart, cute, willful -- and most will try 'controlling the lead.' <u>But... not allowed.</u>

Use a quick little correction ( do it before it's firmly gripped in the teeth - don't want to need dental work). and continue on the walk.

Pup will soon get the idea that there is no future in the behavior and you won't end up in a tug of war with a 85 lb dog.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sumAspen does the same thing and it just looks like she is taking herself out for a walk!! Sorry no info on how to stop but I think it is cute! Aspen always stops carrying(BITING )her leash once we start to walk.
Same thing here, usually if we haven't gone on a walk in a while. Usually be the time we make it out the driveway she's done carrying it..and if I take both dogs, she'll try to carry Dunc's leash till the end of the driveway.

It's funny, cute and she only does it when we go on walks from the house, not when out to parks/anywhere else.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Jerzey used to do this a lot so we actually bought a metal leash to make it uncomfortable for her to chew on it. We would switch between the metal leash and the fabric one every few walks. Eventually she learned the chewing the leash was uncomfortable and just stopped all together. Never really thought of the toy thing, although she tends to just drop it so it didn't really work for her.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Master Member

Baron used to do this and I had to do the correction thing for what seemed like FOREVER but he eventually got it. He even took it to the point where he would grab the leash and do a front somersault, then just lay there. When he realized I wasn't going to stop walking for his antiks it eventually lost its luster.

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Knighted Member

Dakota used to do this too. Very annoying.

I tried spraying bitter oils on it. I don't think she has any taste buds and she couldn't care a less about the taste. I never thought about offering a toy. I think that may have worked.

I really don't know how I stopped it other than using the "drop it" command several times, many times, many times.

It stopped being an issue, but she did it twice in obedience class and both times it was on the last lesson which was the test. LOL.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

All of my pups have done this, I just ignore it. ALL of them have "gotten over it" and stopped on their own. I use a nylon leash until they are done messing with the leash as leather doesn't take it well. One quick, hard bite on a tight leather leash and it will be in 2 pieces.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page