Rosco is eating my house! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Rosco is eating my house!

Rosco is now 9 months. He has always chewed a few things here and there, shoes, toys, occasional furniture leg...recently though he has been really going at it. Always at night while we are sleeping. I always make a point to pick up things off the floor, couches, shoes away before we go to bed. last night he got an easter basket off the counter and shredded it, chewed the plastic easter eggs to bits (it was empty so no chocolate or candy) he ate my footstool from my chair (the entire side) a hairbrush, and a baby doll . The other day he opened the cabnet door and pulled out all the old grocery bags and shredded them. He doesn't usually get into the trash unless on of the kids leaves the lid open, so that really isn't an issue yet but I am worried he is going to make himself sick! It is like this every morning just waiting to see what he found and chewed and it is usually something he finds, brings to the living room and shreds it. I don't want to pull the crate back out, but it seems I may not have a choice. hubby is opposed to the crate upstairs (right now it is in the basement) and says just to put him outside which I don't want to do, he has to learn but i don't know how to teach him...He is big enough to get on counters and open doors and he does it only when I can not see him to correct him.
He has a few chew toys that used to help out but he must be bored with them. Would a big bone work or would that encourage the chewing? I have another dog who is bone aggressive and they fight over it which is why i don't usually leave one around, but I will if it stops all this chewing, my house is getting destroyed. Right now i have him grounded from the livingroom until I can figure this out!
If there are some good threads or advice i can really use it right about now. thanks all!

~Jenni~
Mom of 5 kids
Mom of 2 Dogs
GSD- Rosco Von Ludwig CGC born 7/8/08 -age 2yrs
Husky Mix Izadora -Rescued in 2004 -age 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Rosco is eating my house!

CRATE HIM!

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Elite Member

I would definitely be crating him.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Crate him or keep replacing furniture.Is the dog getting enough mental and physical exercise? Mine tend to chew things when they are bored or anxious because I am not with them.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

I thought Brady was ready at 8 months boy was I wrong
so he was in crate until almost 2

Put him in a crate at night and when your not at home for his OWN safety

make sure he gets plenty of exercise and Mental stimulation
too

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Knighted Member

How much exercise does he get every day? It sounds like he is bored. When you can't keep your eyes on him, then he needs to be in a crate. Sounds like he definitely can not be trusted to have free roam of the house.

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

He usually gets plenty of exercise daily as he can roam and play in a large yard with kids and my other dog, plus his walks but maybe he needs a walk in the evening after dinner now that he is older. Plus he goes to obedience school now...go figure. I am worried because although it is a big crate he is almost too big for it now, but I have no choice. What are your thoughts on things it is OK for him to chew. Will that encourage the chewing and make it worse or redirect his chewing need?

~Jenni~
Mom of 5 kids
Mom of 2 Dogs
GSD- Rosco Von Ludwig CGC born 7/8/08 -age 2yrs
Husky Mix Izadora -Rescued in 2004 -age 8
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Yes, I have to agree with the above comments. Crating and increased exercise. I had to do this with my big fella. He actually chewed up a big hole in a mattress once...now he loves his crate, and actually seeks it out when he's ready for a rest. He's 3 now and can be trusted to hang with the door open when he needs a lil "me" time.

Wendy

Gunnar GSD,CGC
Sasha GSD, CGC
Chloe GSD, trying to be a GC
Ginger GSD, rescue dog extraordinaire
Magic, Jefferson and Lucy, cats gone wild
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Crate! Max was crated until he was about 2yrs old. He's been a good boy since.

-Celia
Kira (sable) GSD 10/09
Geordi (ferret)
Amanda (MaineCoon)
RIP
Max (GSD) (10/05 - 05/10) We love you and miss you.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:He usually gets plenty of exercise daily as he can roam and play in a large yard with kids and my other dog, plus his walks but maybe he needs a walk in the evening after dinner now that he is older.
It sounds like he needs more structured exercise. Having a large yard and another dog are great, but unless he has a toy he's really into (my Ronja loves pushing a soccer ball around with her nose and will do that for hours!), being out there and playing with him, tossing a ball or frisbee and having him bring them back, would give him better exercise.

Now that he's older, your leashed walks may need to be longer or faster for him to get good exercise. You may need to add another walk if necessary.

Also, don't forget the mental exercise. Do you practice your basic commands (sit, down, stay, etc.) everyday, throughout the day? Do you work on new things? Do you play any games where he needs to use his head, like hiding treats for him to play?

Quote:
Quote:I am worried because although it is a big crate he is almost too big for it now, but I have no choice.
You may need to buy a bigger crate. I have two big VariKennels in my kitchen where both of my girls are crated when we are not home and while we are sleeping. They're also fed in their crates and we use them when we travel. IMHO you should always have a crate that your dog fits into, in case it's needed - both for crating in the home and emergency situations (to the vet, having to travel, etc.)

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page