I need help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I need help!!

OMG Dresden is not a barker, but he sure does in the morning when I come down to let him out of his crate....I tell him no bark, I try to make him sit before i open the door, but he continues to bark, LOUDLY...I don't want to wake the whole house so I just open the door and let him out...I need help!! I'm not even sure when this started...it just seemed to happen...BTW he will be 6 months on the 15th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: I need help!!

He barks, you let him out, he's getting positive reinforcement for
the barking...

You might have to enlist the household and just power through
a few mornings until he learns barking won't get him let out of
the crate. Don't go open it up until he stops barking.

Practice other times of day, too, when everybody's awake!

Valerie

Tamsen's Dogster page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

yes i know that's the problem....he barks as i get closer to the crate, and it gets louder the closer i get....i will have to practice more during the day, on the weekends he's not in his crate until bedtime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

when i get up in the morning i never go and let the dog out first thing. i go in the room where he is just to let him know i'm there.
i might turn the tv on or go to the kitchen and make some noise.
i do whatever before letting him out of the crate. i don't make him wait long before i let him out, 3 to 5 minutes is long enough.

when i open the door of the crate i don't open the door wide.
i open the door but i block his exit and say "slow". i reach in and hold my dog by the back of the neck and make sure he exits slowly.
every time i let him i of the crate i did the same thing. i would put
him in his crate several times a day just to practice this. i would put my dog in his crate for 5 or 10 minutes then let him out.
upon returning home i never went to his crate as soon as i came in the house. i would let him out 5 or 10 minutes after entering the house usuing the same method i mentioned.

now when my dog barked or whined when i neared the crate i would say "quiet". when he continued to bark or whine
i would reach in the crate and put my hand around his
mouth and say "quiet". the minute he quieted down i would let him out.

at some point he stopped barking when i neared his crate
and he walked out when i opened the door.

i didn't change my routine and we practiced/trained a lot. i didn't wait untill morning to train how to exit the crate. whatever method you use do it several times a day. i like doing things 6 times
or more a day. why 6 times, i don't know. sometimes i trained more than that. each session was only 5 or 10 minutes long. we always ended each session on a positive note.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Before you extinguish this, you have a great opportunity here to teach bark on command.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 PM

DoggieDad - We do almost the same as you do with the exception of telling them to quiet down. We totally ignore them. In the morning, I make coffee and do some little tidying thing or other and then go to take them out. They both have learned to sit and wait to be released when the door is opened. In the beginning, we wait until they are quiet and if there is barking or whining as we approach, we just turn away and do something else and then try again. They really do pick this up pretty quickly and get very used to it. We have no barking issues in the crate at all. VERY occasionally, one of them will need to get out NOW, MOM! and will whine when they hear us. They are really pretty honest about it and we do honor this and get them out right away.

Dresden, since you have been inadvertently rewarding the barking, it might take a little longer, but if you can enlist your family's help in agreeing to be wakened earlier for a little while, you can beat this in pretty short order.

Even with all that, we very much look forward to the time (coming soon, we hope!) that we will not need to crate the dogs at all.

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, Milla is doing this too. I have the nine of them all in crates around a room. For the past two months, Milla SCREAMS from the moment I open the food bin until I get to Whitney's crate. The next crate is Milla's.

She knows I will not open her crate until she is quiet and sitting. She does this. But not until I get one crate away.

I have sat on a chair and waited twenty minutes or more for her to quiet, then start again, SHE STARTS UP AGAIN!!! I stop and sit down again. I have done this SEVERAL mornings in a row.

At night, before I bring them in, I spill everyone's food in their crate.

Milla and I will figure this out, hopefully before I kill her.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page