Grimm-- training update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Grimm-- training update

A year ago, Grimm was a hyperactive, unfocused, distractable, reactive, pushy, overexcitable, headstrong monster in any tool I used-- prong, Halti, choke chain, e-collar, etc.

Now, he walks beside me in heel, in a simple cloth flat collar!

I found my inner leadership, or something.

He also potties on command onlead or offlead.

Service Dog tasks: He picks up things that I drop when my grip is too poor, he carries things at heel by my side when my hands will not close to carry an object, and he does a bracing heel for balance & bracework for mobility. ( He has also alerted to my seizures, but since I cannot usually remember much then, I have no idea how often he has or has not done that. )

Grimm's doggy "can't wait to play wiff youuu!" reactivity is now much more easily manageable for me, but it is not yet where I want it to be. So, I will likely have a trainer at send-away camp again work with him, then with me for weeks following, so the training transfers and the habit is broken. (there's no aggression or fear.. it's a habit of anticipation: gotta play, gotta play right now! etc.)

He isn't mature yet. His breeder says that he has another year before he is "adult" in his head.

Grimm can be controlled by me by a sharp intake of breath-- he wants to please me. Sometimes, at his age, he cannot be so easily managed as that, as he is still young enough to be distractable and excitable. He is a young immature workinglines GSD who only has only medium drive and only medium energy-- thank God. He doesn't even have much prey drive for a GSD-- another plus for this work.

With the public: Grimm is totally okay with strangers, men, coming right up behind him and GRABBING his head from behind. He just never gets insulted. No agression, just friendliness. He loves everybody. He adores kids.

He is still young and (too) excitable. He is hugely better with things though.

When I move back to The States, I hope to find a trainer, I hope, who can do what I cannot. Someone who will "proof" Grimm in all situations, and "be my hands" for fast, sure corrections when needed, insisting on self control.

Choosing a trainer will not be easy. A sportdog trainer understands dogs like Grimm the best. But, a sportdog trainer trains so that the dog's drives can be joyously fulfilled in competetive sport, and thus usually expects different from a dog than a dog doing Grimm's job. A pet dog trainer might understand better that Grimm must be under calm control--always--in all situations, never allowed to engage in the slightest of shenanigans, etc... but may not anticipate Grimm's responses or reactions.

Anyway, Grimm and I have come a long way.. from a dog who could not be controlled by me in prong, Halti, or any other tool-- to a dog who listens to my leadership and can walk in a simple cloth flat collar. Too young and excitable still? Yup. But, we have come a long way. Hopefully, we can find the help in The States that meets our unique situation.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Grimm-- training update

Patti, I think there are a few trainers out there who will help your situation with Grimm. We will just have to all do some reasearch and find the right one. Some of it will depend on where in the States you will be settling.

I think you have done great with Grimm. You may not need a trainer, maybe just a little help on the final proofing.

You just give that Grimm an big pat on his head from me and tell him that if he isn't good I will be so disappointed in him.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Patti great job!!
Grimm loves you and wants to please you!!

The trainer part if you decide to come back to New England
My trainer will help you I will make sure of it
He is awesome not to say there aren't others out there but I did tell him about what has happened
all I have to do is make a call!!
I will even help you with the training

I am so proud of Grimm and YOu

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Knighted Member

I was just reading all of this. It is really something to be proud of, good job.

So you are coming back to the states?

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, Val, for your encouragement. Finding a trainer is a worry, as the situation is unique. But you are right, he knows his working SD tasks, has both on and offlead obedience (he isn't perfect, but is good)... the proofing is something I cannot do, as I cannot drive a car, and my hands are too weak in conjunction with Grimm's youthful excitability. Basicly, a trainer would live his or her life-- run errands, go to the bank, eat in a restaurant, go to the post office, grocery, etc-- with Grimm alongside, and demand calm heelwork, solid down-stays/sit-stays in these situations. Some Hold-and-carry as well. (Grimm LOVES that task best)

His vest has gotten too small for him. He is noweher near filled out yet. Wonder if Service Dog vests come in size "mammoth."

Val, if you told Grimm that he MIGHT disappoint you, he would give you "The Disney Look"-- ears plastered waayyy down, forehead totally smooth and domed, eyes *enormous*, tongue softly flicking his muzzle. And dogs like this somehow patroled The Iron Curtain?

Dawn, you are an angel to be thinking of me!! (((((HUGS))))) Does Brady still work with a trainer? Does he have private, or classes? Who do you like in your area?

Thank you, Kelly. I tried hard working with Grimm. Where my disabilities leave me lacking, hopefully, a good trainer can fill in the gaps and proof Grimm well for me. I will remain here to hurt and to heal from losing my beloved, special, wonderful, sweet husband. Then, I will probably return to USA.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

But he's totally still gallumping through the woods right?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

... and making the path thunder under my feet as he gallumps by!

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Elite Member

Hey Patti,
I broke my computer and then I was away on travel for forever and I am just getting back online... to find out what happened! I am so sorry for your situation. I'm sure you've recieved lots of love and prayers but I will add to them I love your stories of Grimm because they remind me a lot of Riley (she initiates play with anything that moves) and they are so encouraging to me!

I can't wait to see where you will end up and hear more reports about Grimm's progress. (ok and more pictures, too!) I am currently looking for a good private trainer for my own skills to handle Riley's excitability. keep your eyes peeled!

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Brightelf... and making the path thunder under my feet as he gallumps by!
Whoo hoo! As long as he's still tearing through the forest like a Triceratops, train away!!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Patti, since Grimm has made Leaps and bounds in the last six months or so, it might just be possible that when you get back to the states you might not even need a trainer. Grimm man might just suprise you.

I think his ability to go thundering around in the woods is important and you will need to find a place where he can go blow off energy.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page