make "Leave it" work outside as well as inside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

make "Leave it" work outside as well as inside

Scarlett has an awesome "leave it" when inside. She sees the cats w/e, hears "Leave it" and the discussion is over with. Outside.... that's another matter. It's like I'm speaking a foriegn language

It's frustrating because I know that she knows what the phrase means. If she zeroes in on something ( 1 of many many stray cats, squirrels, w/e) she stops what's she's doing (including answering nature's bodily call). I then have to bring her inside, wait a few minutes and then try again and hope the target is gone.

I tried treats as a distraction... they won't even phase her when she's locked in and she loves her treats. What do I do?

Wolfish_one
Dad to Jasmine (GSD)
Scarlet (GSD)
Romon (Golden Ret.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Re: make "Leave it" work outside as well as inside

When Angel is focused on something other then me outside, I use a coffee can with coins in it. I shake it, and it redirects her attention to me.... I then call her and she comes right to me...
I figure sometimes she is so focused on something else (a neighbor, deer, someone walking a dog) She doesnt even NOTICE me calling.... kinda of like when Ia m doing something and kids call me (mom, mom , mom MOM!)but the coffee can always seems to work (so far)

No matter how big or how small, you should be able to find Joy everyday....
look for the simple things!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

awesome, thank you.

Wolfish_one
Dad to Jasmine (GSD)
Scarlet (GSD)
Romon (Golden Ret.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Knighted Member

With the "leave it" command, I also teach a "take it" command.
As young pups, I offer them a "leave it" with a closed fist. When they back off, they get a good! then a "take it" command. I turn my fist around and offer them the treat with an open palm.
I find with the pups they start to focus on me for the "take it"
I do, however, with some of my more intense girls, resort to a loud noise to break their focus when they get older.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

When I teach "leave it" with an artical of food, the dog NEVER gets that artical of food. I use a better treat to praise and treat the dog. At the end, the "leave it" item is removed.

Outside with the pups, we do "Leave it" mostly when one is pooping and the other is getting ready to imbibe -- uhg! But a well-timed "LEAVE IT" works every time.

However, the back yard is fenced and they know that they cannot get to anything outside of the yard, so even if they are interested in my cat, I can easily call them off. However, if there was a free path to an animal, I do not think that it would work with the puppies yet.

My adults will stop and come back to me even if they are going after a rabbit or cat. (When we go from the car to the house, they are not leashed, and will come back at a word).

So how did we get from point A (reckless puppy) to point B (compliant adult). I don't know. Maybe regular training. Maybe a few well-timed corrections. Maybe just not allowing them off lead at all until I felt that the recall was solid.

My adults are not the same breeding as these pups. Dubya had strong prey drive. But Arwen is only mildly interested in outside critters. So the majority of my adults are somewhere in between there. I do not notice any prey drive in Rushie. It is just not apparent. So I would expect that Rushie and Babs' pups would not have that bad of prey drive. However, it sounds like Scarlett got her prey drive from Grampa Dubya.

My only suggestion to you is to load up on hot dogs. Nuke them if you think it will be cleaner. For the next two months, call Scarlett under every conceivable situation many, many times and give her a piece of hot dog every single time. Take it to a new level. Go outside with her on a long line and continue to call her when there is not a problem, praising and treating her. And then start calling her when she is going after prey.

The treats should continue until you can get her to come to you every single time no matter what is out there, then start a weaning process.

I think a plain "leave it" command does not do enough, especially since you are working without a fence and there is a busy street out there. By telling her to "Come" you are giving her an alternate command. Telling her to "Leave it" just says "don't bother that." She needs to be doing what you tell her in such a circumstance, either an emergency down, or a recall.

It may work, it may not. I like it better than taking her out on a prong and long line and administering a good correction if she fails to hear you when going after something.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page