Stack - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Stack

How did/do you teach this to your dog? I tried holding food in front of his nose but as soon as I touch/move his back leg into position he turns around and starts to play!!! So frustrating! Any other tricks of the trade you all know?

If by some miracle I get his leg into position without him turning it doesn't stay that way long. One time at a open show he was standing beautifully but only for a split second and as luck has it it wasn't while the judge was LOOKING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Stack

Here ya go... (click here)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! You're supposed to be in those Moderator clothes for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Nikon's been a bit of a wiggler as well. What I do is I show him a treat, so he knows it's there, then I put it in my pocket. I start with the front. Lift the dog under the chest and set him down. Legs should be slightly apart. If you need to make further adjustments, grab the leg and the elbow and set it down again, but don't grab any lower (ie, don't grab the dog's pastern or foot). When the front it set correctly, do the rear foot closest to you first. This will be the foot that tucks in. On a male, I line it up with his penis. Then I reach over and gently slide the outside foot back into place, so that the pastern is perpendicular to the ground. Once he's in place, I give him the treat, or hold it straight out in front if he can hold a stay, to get his head up and looking forward (if I need to take a picture). I've started stacking Nikon on cinder blocks to correct his bad habit of posting in front (pushing back so his front legs stick out, making his forearm and shoulder/wither look terrible).

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeNikon's been a bit of a wiggler as well. What I do is I show him a treat, so he knows it's there, then I put it in my pocket. I start with the front. Lift the dog under the chest and set him down. Legs should be slightly apart. If you need to make further adjustments, grab the leg and the elbow and set it down again, but don't grab any lower (ie, don't grab the dog's pastern or foot). When the front it set correctly, do the rear foot closest to you first. This will be the foot that tucks in. On a male, I line it up with his penis. Then I reach over and gently slide the outside foot back into place, so that the pastern is perpendicular to the ground. Once he's in place, I give him the treat, or hold it straight out in front if he can hold a stay, to get his head up and looking forward (if I need to take a picture). I've started stacking Nikon on cinder blocks to correct his bad habit of posting in front (pushing back so his front legs stick out, making his forearm and shoulder/wither look terrible).

I just Nikon!

Thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to try it and post a picture or two for some corrections or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page