Clicker training -- Teaching SHUT UP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Clicker training -- Teaching SHUT UP

Wolfie has an opinion about EVERYTHING and a very loud mouth to go with it. It doesn't matter how tired he is -- he could be roused from the deepest sleep after the longest exercise session to give a piece of his mind to the lab pooping next door (how dare anybody poop within his eyesight), to yell at the runner to come see him, to bark hello to daddy pulling into the driveway, you get the picture. Sometimes, he will just sit in the middle of the yard and judiciously turn his head in every direction in a very equitable manner and bark. We call that the Wolfie's political speech mode. I have tried distracting him with Cuzs, treats -- nothing works. My questions are as follows: 1) is it possible to teach him to be quiet using a clicker? 2) If so, when should I be clicking it? If I click it in the brief lulls between barks, wouldn't it seem as though I am rewarding the bark? I know I will make mistakes with the timing of the click, especially when the barks are fast and furious...

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Re: Clicker training -- Teaching SHUT UP

I can't comment on clicker training. I do however wish our boy would bark, just a little. He whines when he gets excited but no barking. Only time I ever heard him bark was when they came to install a phone line. He was highly upset at this man walking in his yard. Wonder what trigger I can get to teach him 'bark'...don't think hiring some stranger to come into the yard is practical.

Anyway, good luck. Excessive barking can be a problem I suppose, especially for the neighbors.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/237
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I can't help but smile, I can imagine him sitting out in the yard and *****Sometimes, he will just sit in the middle of the yard and judiciously turn his head in every direction in a very equitable manner and bark. We call that the Wolfie's political speech mode****

I have no advice because I have a talker also. LOL
Your post has just made me have a very good chuckle.

I'm sure someone on this form will be able to help.
Good luck.

Sherri & the 6 Holy Terrors...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RavenSophiExcessive barking can be a problem I suppose, especially for the neighbors.
Precisely! Plus, I get the feeling that the neighbors on either side don't like him too much. One side doesn't care for dogs. The other side has a REALLY grouchy French bulldog that tried to eat Wolfie when he was a pup and now (surprise, surprise) a much larger Wolfie either barks his head off when he sees him or will pounce around to get the frenchie going. The frenchie's mom is a very nice lady but the daddy, excuse my french, is a dink. Gives Wolfie the dirtiest looks imaginable -- even though it's his dog that has the attitude problem. The dog is dog aggressive and has snapped at a child unprovoked before.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you Carole for the link. I will try it out.

BucksMom, I know, we find it funny too, even though our neighbors probably don't as much. When we first moved into this neighborhood, couple of the neighbors would complain to us about another neighbor's pair of beagles. I now wonder if we have taken over that coveted (NOT) slot. DH says that the beagles' owners must be so happy now that Wolfie has turned into a barker.

UConnGSD

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Your post just cracked me up 'political speech'! If clickers work I would love to know about it too, because my two darlings are very opinionated also!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Looking for a diversion to my so far awful day and read the title to your post!!

I have the same issue with mine, geesh He just looks around to see if the wind is blowing, perhaps a bird is flying over, oh look a car went by, ohh theirs mom she is taking out the garbage to the garage, etc.

Your boy and mine are within a month of age, wonder if it is an age thing? I'm anxious to see what others post here as I'm at my wits end. You at least still have a sense of humor!!!

All I can offer is some sympathy and would loan you my ear plugs if you like Maybe they will grow out of this. Oh and Küry is exercised, goes to daycare several days a week, is walked, has a whole tub of toys, chew bones, and other dogs to play with. We are so tired, he is not. Think I'll go out in the backyard now and bark just for the heck of it myself. Heck ,think I willl howl! Maybe he knows something I do not!!! I'll read the clicker article too when I'm done.

Wishing you the best!

-Lisa
Tytan LC GSD 2/22/09
Tucker Gldn Retr 12/24/07
KayLee Gldn Retr 5/17/04
Felines 1-18 yrs

Küryakyn LC GSD 6/09/08-3/17/09 Missing you...
I'd give anything for 'Just One More Day With You'
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kürys Mom I have the same issue with mine, geesh He just looks around to see if the wind is blowing, perhaps a bird is flying over, oh look a car went by, ohh theirs mom she is taking out the garbage to the garage, etc.
That's so funny! This is exactly what DH says. It's like he's barking at the wind. What really gets him going are garage doors opening, cars pulling out, etc. So weekday mornings are fun

UConnGSD

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM

My DH studies him to find the cause, LOL then he always says the same thing; he's barking at nothing again, come here and watch him turn his head and pivot his body in a circle. Then walks away. I've been going out and calling him in as soon as he starts barking. So far that has not worked very well, it does for the moment and thats it.

After my time out, had to go to town and run some errands. At the pet store waiting to check out what do I see but a nice, big container of 'clickers'! The owner asks me to wait a sec while he helps a lady with her stuff. sooooo I selected two brightly colored clickers to help me teach the 'SHUT UP' and promptly added them to my purchase!

Now that I've read up on how to do this, lol I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'll come back in a few days and let you know how it goes. Will hang on to my ear plugs for a bit also!! So cannot believe that I'm going to use a clicker (I've said, I never would)

Are you going to try the clicker method too? Misery loves company ya know

-Lisa
Tytan LC GSD 2/22/09
Tucker Gldn Retr 12/24/07
KayLee Gldn Retr 5/17/04
Felines 1-18 yrs

Küryakyn LC GSD 6/09/08-3/17/09 Missing you...
I'd give anything for 'Just One More Day With You'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page