LEASH TRAINING - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

LEASH TRAINING

Anyone have any good ideas on leash training, steeda has no problem with me putting it on him he is very distracted by things going on around us. And he likes to smell everything. He also pulls alot.

STEEDA, MY PERFECT GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Master Member

Re: LEASH TRAINING

Here's a thread that's worth a read. It's long, contains all kinds of stuff, but definitely addresses your leash issues. Spend the time to read it, and I bet yo get all kinds of ideas! :-)

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=0&fpart=1

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM

well i would go in a noisey area and keep saying his name so he has attention on you or call there name far away (Few meters)
So they run/Walk to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Prong collar.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Here's something I've done to completely change our leashed walking experiences:

I use my pup's favorite treat...cheese. It gets her attention like no body's business! Turning all her focus on me.

Learn the "target" method, it's worked wonders with Anna. Take their fave treat and put it in your hand, in a balled up fist and let them sniff and know it's there...give them some. This way they learn to focus on your hand/you for their fave munchie!

Take some small, walks, end of the driveway and back with little or no distractions and have them to the side of you, with the other hand put the treat in the fist and let them focus on it (you may have to bend down to make sure they see it), or target. After a little ways, praise like crazy and give some of the treat out of the hand. This makes walking next to you fun and rewarding!! Slowly build this up to more distraction prone areas.

Good luck. We're used this method in conjunction with the Gentle Leader, but now we're back on a regular collar and we've come a looong way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page