Search the house. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Search the house.

I've always wanted to have a dog that I could send into the house and have it search for anybody that doesn't belong there.

I think Izzy will be that dog, but I'm not real sure how to go about it. We've started off by having her sit/stay in the livingroom, then place a milkbone on the floor, around the corner into another room, then release her by telling her to "search", then she goes to get the milkbone.

Does anyone have any advice on transferring that behavior to searching for people?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Search the house.

Why would you want to put her in danger that way? Somebody could kill her and her not make a sound. You'd be better off with a monitored alarm system.

it's one thing that she alert if someone comes into the house while your there and you have time to get to a weapon, but to send her in? She's not a police k9 and even those dogs get killed by criminals.

I'm just trying to understand why someone (non LEO) would need that?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I'd need it if we were all at the park, come back home and something doesn't feel right. Send in Izzy to find any intruders that may be inside.

I don't feel about this the same way you do apparently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

I could see if if you lived near the projects somewhere and had drug dealers and gangs hanging out of your front porch step, but other wise, I guess not.

If that were the case, I'd try to get the heck outta dodge instead

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Elite Member

I thought in texas you could carry and conceal? maybe i was wrong. if so, i would be entering the house locked and loaded long before the dog!

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SiNNiKI'd need it if we were all at the park, come back home and something doesn't feel right.
Any cop will tell you the smart thing to do is get OUT of the house and call 911. That's THEIR job.

Quote:
Quote:Send in Izzy to find any intruders that may be inside.
And do what? If you want the dog to engage the intruders you are talking about personal protection training. Expensive and a very serious commitment.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

I think GSD's are a good deterent for people approaching the house, alerting you to their presence.

What you are talking about by just sending your untrained dog in is very dangerous for the dog. If you come home and things don't feel right, take the dog and get out of the house and dial 911.

If that is what you want to do then you need to spend time finding a good trainer who trains in Personal Protection. You will need to spend a lot of time doing training and not the protection part. The OB part is very very important with a PPD, there can be no question when you give a command the dog HAS to obey. PPD's can be some what IMHO a bit of a liability.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Wouldn't a good GSD know right away if somebody was in the house that didn't belong?

My friend has Airedales (for years and years). One day they came home and the house had been broken into. The dog knew right away something was wrong and ran around the whole house looking for the intruder.

Anyway, there are people that train GSDs for this purpose and sell them for $50,000+.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

It would probably be better to train her to bark furiously on command, scaring away anyone near the house, rather than send her into an empty house where she can face the barrel of a sawed-off shotgun. Also, have a good security system and pay the subscription fee.

Quote:
Quote:If that is what you want to do then you need to spend time finding a good trainer who trains in Personal Protection. You will need to spend a lot of time doing training and not the protection part. The OB part is very very important with a PPD, there can be no question when you give a command the dog HAS to obey. PPD's can be some what IMHO a bit of a liability.
Good post. At the very least, visit a schutzhund club to see if your dog has what it takes for any sort of PPD training. After all, what will your dog do if she DOES find someone? Will she bark, run away, engage? If she doesn't have the temperament for real PPD work, she could be mentally scarred for life or could have no life left.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I do live in an area where there are bad elements hanging around, so I guess I pass that test. As for what she'd do when she found someone, I'm fairly certain she'd alert and hold them at bay. She's only 6 and a half months old at this point and already standing up to Mexican contractors who give her the stink eye by our back fence.

I think she'll have a lot of heart and will have no problem moving forward in the face of danger.

I work nights and the main reason we got her was to provide protection for my wife and daughters when I'm not at home.

So far I've read that I could train her for PP, which is a great idea, or train her to bark exuberantly. I appreciate the info, any other ideas?

Currently working toward a handgun purchase since my firearms are all long guns, then will work toward my CHL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page