Need Help Pottie Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Need Help Pottie Training

Hi
I am new here, and we just got Drake, hes a Shepherd / Husky mis and Vet beleaves he's about 8 months old. We dont think he has had any real training. The porblem I am having is I am takeing him out for Pottie and he will pee but is hit and miss on pooping. Hes pooped 3 times in side now with no warn I have seen. Dose any one have any good ideas to get him to do his bussines out side all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Need Help Pottie Training

Is drake being crated when youre unable to supervise?

Does he usually sniff around or show any signs before doing his business inside or does he just go in the blink of an eye?

Is it only pooping inside or both peeing and pooping?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Hes pied twice and pooped 3 times, and i havent seen him actuly do it. Also when I take him out side he will pee and then sniff and sniff and sniff but dose nothing else. And I am home all the time rt now. ANd he not good with his crate, I had to sanatize it it had hvy urin in it. when we got him and it from he previose owners I think the kept him in it almost all the time. As soon as we put Drake in it he barks and wines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Master Member

Do you feed him on a schedule? I feed the dogs twice a day at the same time. They usually poop within one hour (or sooner!) after eating.

If you are not already on a steady schedule, this might help.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

It sounds like you need to start completely over like he's 8 weeks old and youre just bringing him home.

The first thing i would do is start with the crate. Make sure he only has enough room in that crate to completely stretch out when laying down and thats it. Any more room is not needed when potty training. This method works because dogs typically dont go to the bathroom where they sleep. If he has any more room than what i mentioned, he will lay down in one spot and go to the bathroom in the other.

Second make sure you bring him outside every hour on the hour. Make sure you take him out before he goes in the kennel and the second he gets out. Do not waste any time, just bring him out immediately. Dont even give him the chance to go because he will. When he does go to the bathroom outside like a good boy, make sure to praise and treat so he knows he's doing a good thing going outside. These dogs want to please their owners so show him youre pleased when he does the right thing.

Third thing is to watch Drake like a hawk when youre inside. If you cant watch, put him in his kennel. Do not give him any opportunities to go. If you see him sniff around, take him outside, and praise when he goes.

Oh and make the kennel a fun place for him to be in. Give him a treat when he goes in so he recognizes it as a positive place to be. Put some of his favorite toys in the kennel for him to play with. Make the kennel a positive place. I've got my lucy bolting to her kennel the second i say the word because she knows it will be followed up with a tasty treat.

Just have some patience because its not an overnight fix, but just work on it with him and he'll eventually get it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Ideas. he Is a good dog. If I take him out to potty after hes eattin Should I just stay out with him till he goes? of should I stop and try again latter after a certain amount of time?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

I think it depends on how long it's been since his last time he's gone. If he's 8 months old he physically should be able to hold it a good 6 hours without going, but thats for a dog thats house broken. I dont think he'll actually be going every hour like a 8 week old pup so there's no need to wait all day out there, but i'd give it a good 5 to 10 minutes. If he doesnt go by then, wait an hour and bring him out again. Dont let him out of your sight and praise and treat when he finally does his business outside.

Oh and if he does have an accident inside and you catch him in the act, a good way to make him stop pissing is by making a loud noise. Immediately bring him outside and let him finish up outside.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 AM

When I was potty training, I took her out on a leash and kept saying "ok let's go potty" and kept saying it until she went and then would praise her like crazy when she did it and made sure she knew she did the best thing and now all I have to do is take her out and tell her to go potty and she goes. It is great....she never had an accident in the house. I took her out all the time until she got the hint that she needs to go outside. I would take her out nearly every hour (I don't work outside the home) until she got the idea doing her "buisness" belongs outside.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Elite Member

All excellent advice and all if it which I followed for our 5yr min pin rescue that was not housebroken and would mark in the house. The good news is that we did housebreak him and he is totally trusted which is such a relief.

One thing I made sure and it was mentioned (maybe) is if they don't go when you take them out then you can 1. put them back in their crate or 2. if you are home tether his leash to you so he is always with you.

As he gets more regular you will figure out when he has to go and instead of every hour you can do every 3 hours (but keep him by you in the house between each potty break) as you see he is going regularly outside you can work on trusting him in the house.

I never let Cabela out of my site or he was tethered.

What I found is that as long as I kept him going out, saying go potty, didn't play with him at all even in the house until he went he got the concept.

I never did any punishment when I found the mess because it doesn't work they don't understand it unless you catch them in the act. If you punish them for something they don't remember doing then what you have a dog that is fearful and is hiding to do his business instead or running from you in the house when you want to play etc...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Everyone has given you great advise. I also recommend attachment to you if not in the crate. My pup is almost 16 weeks and still under constant supervision. He is either draging a leash or in his crate. Set your pup up for sucess!

Good luck!

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page