Jumping Up on The Counter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Jumping Up on The Counter

Anytime their is food on the counter my GSD, wini, will jump up and try to get it. This has been going on for awhile and I'm not sure what to do. I don't and will not smack her, I know a lot of people do that. She is also a puppy so I don't want her to still be doing this as she gets bigger and stronger. Although I don't think she is going to get to much bigger. What should I do to get her to stop jumping up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Jumping Up on The Counter

Have you tried yelling "NO GET DOWN" and pushing her feet off the counter?

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

the thread heading is "How do I teach my dog to....."

and you wrote "Jumping Up on The Counter"

Well, what I would do is start small by using the couch, take his favorite treat or toy and really get him cranked up and place the toy or food on the couch while giving him the jump or hop command, then you move on to the bed, once you got that try the kitchen table, use a picnic table at first then you can move up to the kitchen table after that the counter tops ought to be a cinch.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Knighted Member

Cute Max (as usual)

I would go along with Jenn's suggestion with the added piece:

I would use "OFF" and remove the item-as in put away for a while and not continue preparing the meal. i.e. is there space on top of your refrigerator/cabinet. Put it away and go on to do something else.

Come back in a little while and go on about preparing the meal. Repeat as necessary.

This is also a perfect opportunity to teach or enforce a sit-stay or down-stay. Put her in one or the other and have her hold that position while you prepare her meal. Again, if she breaks you stop the preparation and put her back in the position you had her.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

inverted mouse traps are good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Instead of thinking how to stop Wini from jumping on the counter, think about what you would like her to do instead. Luther was awful in the kitchen - choosing to lay right behind my feet when I worked at the sink and jumping up to grab a morsel or just to see what I was doing. We worked on down-stays in a particular spot when "we're" in the kitchen. He now does this automatically and rarely needs reminding any more. Think, "This is MY kitchen!".

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Crowned Member

LOL, is your Luther my Luther reincarnate? Mien Luther was horrid in the kitchen, I had to do the same thing - find him something else to do!!!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM

I think Luther may just be - or both spawn of.....?! Can't tell you how many times I almost bought it turning toward the fridge not realizing a GSD was blocking my path. My problem is to keep remembering he needs to understand what to do instead of what his first idea is - which is 99% of the time WRONG! We're getting there - but in the beginning, I found myself getting frustrated a lot and then remembering to teach him what to do instead.

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to Hatterasser

Both Thor and Freya crowded around me at the counter, their noses sniffing, eyes bulging in anticipation of something yummy.

I moved them to a part of the kitchen that is not in my pathway, put them into down, gave them a treat and told them stay.

Now, they'll try the crowding but all I have to do is stare them down and point my finger and with deep sighs, they go and lay down.

Took repeated efforts but it seems they have learned to stay out of my way (and away from the counters) while I'm preparing stuff.

Diane
Mom to Freya.
R.I.P Thor and Seamus
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Shelby desperately wants up on the counter, it seems as if he is always hungry. He is only five moths old, so he is at about 45 sec. max for a stay.......if I am in the kitchen with him I tell him off as soon as I see the idea of jumping on the counter passing through his brain and it is helping as is redirecting him to a toy or giving him a break in his kennel. I think it is really important to give the "off" command, or whatever you want to call it while they are in the thinking-but-before doing mode, for as smart as he is, he is really good at choosing to play dumb about certain things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page