Sitting and barking instead of retrieval - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Sitting and barking instead of retrieval

...very motivated these days, sorry if this is the wrong board again.

How do you accomplish a sit and bark instead of retrieval when you hide an object and send your dog to find it?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Sitting and barking instead of retrieval

I'm confused. What exactly are you trying to teach and why?

Are you trying to teach a bark on command when YOU are holding the reward, or send the dog to a separate location where the reward is placed and have the dog bark instead of pick it up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

From your other thread it sounds like you're trying to teach SchH exercises without a SchH club? Are you asking about teaching the hold and bark?

You can teach your dog to bark on command on your own, by showing the dog a reward and then blocking him from getting it until his frustration loads to the point he makes a noise, then mark that as the correct behavior and reward. As he gets the idea, you build up stronger and stronger barking.

But that's not a hold and bark. The hold and bark is a protection exercise, taught with a helper. You need a club for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like the OP is trying to teach an article indication so the dog indicates prior to retrieving.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion. I think what I am trying to do falls under basics of Search & Rescue.

I have my dog sit and stay, then I go and hide a toy somewhere. I go back to my dog and say ...Go get it girl ...and she starts searching.
Often she finds it and brings the toy back to me.

So my question is, how do I get to the point where the dog does not bring the toy back immediately to me but rather sits and barks. "I found it, check here" type of bark.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Aloha, I did this by mistake with Rasa. I hid her ball inside a small box, under a big box that was on the top shelf. Rasa found it but it was out of her reach so she just sat there and got my attention. Try hiding the toy where she can "find it" but cannot retrieve it. And reward the good behaviors that you want. ie Sitting, wimpering barking, etc.)
I am sure others here have better ideas

frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page