Teaching Wini Focus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Teaching Wini Focus

For the past few months I have been training Wini mostly in my basement, or anywhere indoors. I haven't taken her outside to do a whole lot of training, but she does go out on a daily basis for execise. I finally decided I could start taking her out to train, since the weathers getting better, and because she needs work on her recall outdoors.

But I noticed she gets so distracted! By grass, trees, logs, snow ect. Anything!! She is still a puppy though but she is totally ignoring me, she is a year old, which I consider a puppy still(:
I've been saying, "focus!" or, "watch me" and showing her a treat but its not working! In the house she is so different if I say come she runs to me, if I say sit she immedietly sits, but outside she is so like, "whatever, mom, the dirt is more interesting, I don't hear you." attidute. She won't even look at me, she just sniffs the ground, won't come, won't sit ect. And I know that butthead teenage stage should have wayyyyy past already. But ever since I got her she has been sick, now she is healthy and it seems like she is going through all the puppy stages now! Weird, I know. Maybe it's just me. Like the teenage stage. But how can I get her to focus? I read the "Teaching focus" thread but it didn't really help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Teaching Wini Focus

Maybe too much, too soon? Or, let her burn off some energy and drive first, then when she is getting bored, take her aside for some training.

We start the focus by having the dog sit in front. Then have a treat between two fingers and draw an imaginary line from the dog's nose to your temple and say "watch". Just to it for ONE second, mark (click or say yes) and give the dog the treat. We do it ten times at that time interval before adding another second. So, it's very slow going but you don't want to push it too fast or the command won't mean a thing and she'll always be blowing you off. Once you can do it for about 10 seconds, step back and try to do 1 second with NO treat (I draw the line and hold my pinkey finger on my temple as my hand cue, then when I say "yes" I give a treat from my other hand).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page