Teaching dog to walk on treadmill- should i? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Teaching dog to walk on treadmill- should i?

I just bought a treadmill because its been a pretty messy winter so far (first winter in this house!) and I'm really looking forward to having one at home!

I'm wondering how everyone feels about exercising your dog on it? Any experience with it? Can it harm the treadmill? (i paid a lot for mine since I'm an avid runner)

I wouldn't stop walking riley 2x a day but I think it would be something to mix it up for her and do a couple times a week.

any thoughts appreciated

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Teaching dog to walk on treadmill- should i?

A lot of people do this for conditioning their dogs, and I myself am curious about how to train for it.

<Insert witty sig>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Knighted Member

I am curious as well we have a treadmill here in the basement (never gets used, got it free) and would love to train Jesse to use it as well, during winter, he gets to swim in the summer in the pool.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

you see cesear milan do it all the time on his show, and since he is still doing it I've got to assume that its somewhat safe (with proper supervision/ training).

My mom has a treadmill and when i've been on it at her house, riley comes up to me like "HI MOM! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" and tries to paw at me or sniff my moving legs... of course while i'm running fast. So at the very least I am going to have to teach her not to bother me while i'm on it. (could be disasterous for all of us!)

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sprzybylI just bought a treadmill because its been a pretty messy winter so far (first winter in this house!) and I'm really looking forward to having one at home!

I'm wondering how everyone feels about exercising your dog on it? Any experience with it? Can it harm the treadmill? (i paid a lot for mine since I'm an avid runner)

I wouldn't stop walking riley 2x a day but I think it would be something to mix it up for her and do a couple times a week.

any thoughts appreciated
Its popular the dog fighting crowds to prevent undo attention to themselves

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM

Both my dogs know how to walk on the treadmill (kind of a parlor trick), but I actually have had to use it to exercise my male this winter (he is missing hair on his ears due to allergies and I am concerned about frostbite). He walks on it for a mile twice a day if the temp is below 20 degrees or so outside. It is definitely no substitute for the sights and excitement of walking outside, but as a temporary measure it has been a lifesaver for taking the edge off. It doesn't seem to have harmed the treadmill at all, aside from doggie drool sprayed all over it.

I found the easiest way to start the dogs on the treadmill was to turn it on low speed, have a person at the front with treats to lure (and to prevent the dog from bailing off the front), and I would hold the dog on leash and walk him onto it. After doing this a couple of times, the dog would walk on by himself with no collar/leash, and I would stand at the front and give treats intermittently.

-Sarah

Amara CGC

CGC
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Sarah! Thanks helpful to hear! Hope your make gets better... and don't worry i think my treadmill will be covered mostly in my "drool" (lol) because I sweat alot lol

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM

I've gotten Kuno to semi-walk on the treadmill. He will walk his front legs on it while the back legs stand on the floor. We're working on that...

I agree on the method described by ahlamarana.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

LOL that's a funny visual. My treadmill won't be delivered until the 22nd so I have plenty of time to read up on it.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

We did this last winter sortof for fun and with all the bad weather.
They caught on pretty quick starting on a low speed and using a treat (basically the exact same way that was desribed above).
Not something we do all the time, and have not even done it in awhile (I like that they make me go outside!! ) and of course be careful, but they seemed to enjoy it, or at least not mind it.

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page