Scent/find it training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Scent/find it training?

I've noticed my GSD is really great at sniffing things out and I was wondering if I could capitalize on this as a form of fun and training. I only want her to go find toys or something of that nature and bring it to me. But I have no clue on how to go about it? Should I get some sort of scented thing or something along that line??
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Re: Scent/find it training?

Aloha, You do not need a scented, just a toy or ball she likes. At first, I made Rasa, sit and stay and I put the ball within sight and let her go "find it". This actually only took 3-4 "dry runs" until she caught on to look for something and now I cannot hide anything without her finding it fast. Under cups on high shelves, behind boxes, etc ... you name it. Another thing we do is fetch, but always I throw it into high grass (4-5 feet tall) and she retrieves it but only after 3-8 minutes of searching. She goes nuts with enthusiasm. It is amazing on how fast a GSD will learn something they actually want to learn.
frank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Master Member

My dog loves to play find it in the house with her toys. It is a lot of fun watching her walk around looking for her toy after we have "hidden it in plain site" somewhere downstairs.

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:05 AM

My dog is 10 weeks and I started training him to track scents, it's very easy actually. I took a liver treat and let him smell it, let him see my pull it acrossed the ground and i'd go around a corner. Then I'd pick him up over the dividing barrier and make him smell the ground and quietly say "find it". It took him a little bit to catch on but he did. I also started at the same time with a 7 month old jack russell but would switch them off and sometiems do it together. Once they tracked it down everywhere in the house I moved it outdoors. I broke off a piece crumbled it up in my hand and put it in the grass. I then rubbed my foot into it and dragged my foot acrossed the grass for about 6 feet. Then I'd set the treat down behind a bush or on a leaf and drag my foot along the same path. Next I let them outside and made them smell the start and would say "find it" if they're on track I quietly say "good boy" or "good girl". After a few shorter onces I stepped it out to about 20 feet, they found it in about 20 seconds. I'll be stepping them out further and further as they progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page