mouthing and jumping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

mouthing and jumping

first of all hi to every1,
my name is Rameez and my GS's name is Tiger..he turned 1 year in Jan..bt the problem im having with him is that wenever he sees me or any other person in the family he jumps and starts mouthing...n it hurts sometimes..he goes for the hand and jumps on the back all the time..even when taking him for a walk he jumps n grabs on the leash with his mouth..hes 1 year old now n sometimes by mistake he bites the hand hard..wat can b done to avoid this as i hav a 4 year old niese and for her his biting is still hard enough.we even sent him to obedience training bt it dint help at all..pls advice me wat to do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Master Member

Re: mouthing and jumping

It sounds like he hasn't been trained. You have to take him obedience class immediately. All the time supervise him when he is with your niece. Other than that, you need to improve your english I guess

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Knighted Member

I would get him into some basic training to start.
Secondly YES!! Supervise when he is with anyone especailly a child. Third - when he mouths..... Let out a LOUD HIGH PITCHED ~~~~~ YIPE ~~~~!!!!!!!!!! jUST LIKE A PUPPY WOULD DO- AND STATE A FIRM >>>>> NO!!!!!!! <<<<<
Be conistant and never let him get away with that .
Training is SO important for you as it Teaches YOU - not him!

Good luck and let us know how he progresses

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Elite Member

val not nice about the english....maybe thats the best they can do

KATHY
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

thank you for all your comments and he has been to obedience training before.he has already had 6 classes of obedience training but there hasn't been much of an improvement. he only responds to the commands when i have got food in my hands or else he wont.anyways i will keep monitoring his behavior and update you guys on the situation. well valium i think this will answer your question about an improvement in English language i guess.
thank you
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 AM

Rameez, 6 classes aren't that much, and the follow up is critical. GSDs take work because they are so smart and so strong-minded. Having a GSD is like having a job -- you need focus and goals, and you have to do it long-term. But it's absolutely fascinating stuff, and they're worth every moment.

If you search on "nipping, jumping" you'll find a lot of people with similar problems, and good advice on dealing with it.

And I do want to say -- the fact that you care enough to seek answers and post here puts you ahead of a lot of dog owners. Keep at it and you'll have a great dog. And a happy one, too -- GSDs really like to know the boundaries and be confident of who is in charge.

It would probably be worth it to see a GOOD trainer (not a PetSmart special, although some of them are good), It's incredible how much you can learn in just an hour, and how helpful it is to have an experienced person evaluate your dog. You don't have to spend megabucks -- even one 1-hour session would be helpful.

You can ask people on this list for someone near you, contact your local shelter and vet for recommendations, and ask a local dog club.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page