How do I get her to let me brush her?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

How do I get her to let me brush her??

I've been trying to brush Lexi at least once a day but she just wants to eat the brush! In fact, she now wants to eat any brush she sees, like if I'm brushing my daughter's hair in the morning Lexi tries her darndest to get the brush! I've tried having her sit or lay down and giving her a treat while I brush, but that only lasts as long as it takes her to eat the treat then she's back to trying to get the brush. I want to be able to groom her on a regular basis, how do I get her to understand the brush is not a play thing and to sit still and let me do this?

Thanks

beth

Very Proud Mommy to Maddie (human) Lexi (German Shepherd) and Bella (cat)!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Master Member

Re: How do I get her to let me brush her??

Marley just now started to let me brush her. She is 11 months old. Before this, she was a brush eater too!!! Now she lays calmly while I do it. If she is standing up when I start she lays down and closes her eyes. Your pup may just be a little energetic still and may find it hard to calm down and enjoy the brushing. Good Luck!!

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

The best advice I have seen on several shows is the brush needs to equal - relaxation and a treat. So when you bring out the brush you bring out a special treat, let her see the brush when she bites it you say leave it and give a treat. Start to brush her if she bits it say leave it and give her a treat and continue with your grooming. The dog learns the brush comes with good stuff after a while you won't have to even do the treat she just knows it will feel good especially if you are brushing her correctly (which I am sure you are). Sonny sits very still for a brushing every so often if I hit a spot he will try and bite the brush and that is what I do I redirect him if I don't have food then I play with him or scratch him under the neck as I brush that 1 spot 1 handed and then once he is focused again I can get my other hand back. All positive to get a dog to enjoy completely a brushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

I give Brady a treat and he lays down and that is how I brush him

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

I followed riley around the house for while and/ or had a second party "pet her" aka hold her down for me. But she's slowly but surely warmed up to it with some consistency. Everytime she tried to bite at it I would say no bite and keep going. If she tried to get up I would put her back in a sit and give her a stay. She's coming around, slowly but surely I still do some "drive bys" when she's not suspecting it though, lol

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Crowned Member

To get a dog used to being brushed I smear peanut butter on the fridge door and let them stand there and lick it off. That keeps them distracted enough for me to start brushing. After that they learn to stand for brushing and get treats at the end.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangTo get a dog used to being brushed I smear peanut butter on the fridge door and let them stand there and lick it off. That keeps them distracted enough for me to start brushing. After that they learn to stand for brushing and get treats at the end.
how creative!! i like this idea. max is great for brush but he lays on one side, the same side. and by the time im ready to groom the other side hes already snoring and really hard to roll over. and i wake him and try and roll him over but he still flops on the side i need. when the brush comes out he automatically lays down so getting him to stand would be really helpful

Dawn
&
Max

untill they all come home safe....pray for our troops!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Knighted Member

Peanut butter is great! Great distraction and it takes awhile.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

I just brushed Nikon for the first time last week. I let him play for a while so he was good and tired. Then I sat him down, held his collar gently while scratching and massaging his neck, and just started with gentle strokes down his back. I did not use food or toys because these rewards tend to make him MORE worked up and fidgety. I moved the brush slowly so he did not see it as a toy or prey object. I think being tired really helped. I kind of pet and massaged him at the same time and he did fine.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

I was in the same boat with puppy Grimm! Here's what I did:

At the end of the day, about 6 - 7pm, when it starts getting dark.. 1.Feed the puppy so he has a full tummy.
2.Take him outside on a WALK.. not in the yard. (this tires his brain out!)
3. Bring puppy into the warm house.
4. Have puppy lay down.
5.Give a toy that does NOT roll-- no ball.
6. Begin brushing.

The puppy WILL still get all silly and bite the brush. Whoops! Squeak the toy for him. As he mouths the toy, brush some more.

Now, Grimm lays down for his nightly "massage" with the brush!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page