Stay home and look forward to the Job - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Stay home and look forward to the Job

Aloha, How do i get Rasa 4yr f GSD to look forward to staying home and guarding the compound? (she has the run of the place, in or out doors ...ie Hawaii doors always open to house/office no kennel, etc. and she does not seem to abuse that priveledge.) Right now she will "stay" and she will whine and bark and act all sad as she sees me rolling away. I know she is velcro now, but how do I get her to "look forward" -- at least a bit--to her guard duty? I promise her a treat and she comes for it when I get back, but she sure cries.

frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Stay home and look forward to the Job

You have a GSD. The *only* thing she is going to look forward to is you coming home. She guards because she's a dog, a GSD, and that's just in her nature, but her world revolves around you and you only. No dog ever thinks, "Finally, Master is gone, now I can go sleep/eat the paper/howl at the neighbors." Every dog thinks, "I wish I could go too, but I can't so I just hope s/he hurries back soon."

All we train for is for a dog to not freak out when we leave. Because of its pack nature, no dog ever enjoys solitude.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Re: Stay home and look forward to the Job

I agree. If you think about it, you have a job, friends, entertainment everywhere you go. You can't wait to go out and do it all. For a dog, all they have is you. You are they're entertainment and their only friend, of course they are gonna be a little bummed out when you leave, all you can do is help them so they don't freak out as much.

Sydney (Black GSD Female - 6-12-08)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page