Teach "snarl?" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Teach "snarl?"

A friend of mine in high school had taught his sweet-as-sugar golden retriever to snarl on command. It was awesome! I also saw it mentioned on another board today. I'd like to teach it to Renji but without associating aggressive tendencies, obviously. I'd be happy with just lip-lifting that shows off his teeth.

How does one go about teaching this? I'm pondering how to teach this myself but right now I can't think where to start.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Teach "snarl?"

I taught it to my always friendly Border Collie by playfully squeezing the nose and the clicker.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Master Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQ4o...eature=related

this cracked me up

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Knighted Member

Some dogs naturally offer the smile - I've seen it in a lot of Aussies and border collies, and even a few goldens. Never seen it quite so natural in a GSD, though, so it may be more difficult. If a dog has the natural behavior and you can catch it and reward it, that's a lot easier than trying to figure out how to get the behavior to happen.

I was working on something like this with Tazer, though. When I tell her "easy" and start to hand her a treat, she pulls her lips back from her teeth before taking the treat. I was marking that behavior but because the behavior is wrapped up with her already thinking that she's getting the treat, it's not coming together as I had hoped.

She also pulls her lips back when I puff air in her face, so I may try that instead.

Let us know if you figure out how to get Renji to do it! *L*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

That just had me laughing out loud!

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Hmmm. . .I wonder what board you found that on.

None of us could figure out how to do it. I know Ris will bare her teeth at other dogs (especially if there's an object of contention around) but I would never want to click her for that. I tried tickling her whiskers to get her to raise her lip but it failed. It was either coupled with another behavior (or two) so that I couldn't distinguish it out. Or she got so used to me doing it she stopped moving at all. I also tried just lifting her lip with my fingers and clicking her for that. But I think all I did there was make her less concerned about me playing around with her mouth.

I guess it's just as well. As much as I think it would be cool to teach her such a difficult behavior, with her reactivity, we get enough dirty looks as it is. I'd hate to have her doing this randomly while we're out. Though I may be good enough to realize there's no malice behind it, I know most others are not so good at reading dogs.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Interesting, I never taught the snarl but I did the smile, because our GSD mix would do the curl of the lip when he saw someone he really loved. As he got older he didn't do it as much but we would aways say Brandy smile and he would.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Knighted Member

I can get my dog to lift her lips when I point the vacuum nozzle at her without even turning it on!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Knighted Member

OMG...I just watched the video posted above! Too funny!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

Vaccuum cleaner, hadn't thought about that .. *L*

Jamie, I understand your concerns about what the public might think ... I have taught Khana to growl on command and afterwards I thought "is that really a smart thing to do?". To HER it's not a growl, though. It's her "speak" - she does a low GRRRR, because that's what I chose to reward. Chows have an amazing range of sounds that they make. It's hard to explain, but they communicate with more grunts, groans, grumbles and squeaks than any dog I've ever heard. But they're not noisy dogs overall - they just have interesting noises. So when I started "speak" with Khana, I chose the low GRRRR as the sound I would reward. Now she'll look at me with that sweet kind face and go GRRRR in a low voice, and it's a communication with me that has nothing to do with a true growl. But OTHERS would probably think she was growling.

Melanie and the gang

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page