games/training with CCL-tear dog in recovery? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

games/training with CCL-tear dog in recovery?

Annie has to be off her feet for quite a while while she gets over CCL surgery. She's not much interested in catch or tug (I've had dogs who were mad for both of those and would do them lying down).

What she loves to do is everything she can't for a while -- walk and smell, run like a maniac, wrestle, and play Calvin ball.

I'm trying to think of games to play or training to do that do not involve sitting or standing, catching or tugging.

She will be able to walk a little more in several weeks, and there's a hide and seek game she likes, but that's it. I'm drawing a total blank on how to keep her mind active -- seems like she's already getting a little depressed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Knighted Member

Re: games/training with CCL-tear dog in recovery?

I'm really sorry to hear that Annie has a torn cruciate!

You might try some scent exercises. Initially you could just teach the "which hand has the treats" game where you have food in one hand and hold out both to her to figure out where the treats are. With my dogs I just ask them to nuzzle the right hand. This could be done with her in a down position as long as you keep your hands low.

And then you could teach her to find a treat in the room that you've hidden, if she's able to walk around a bit. You start out simple and gradually make it more complicated.

You could also teach her a structured retrieve. I posted some information on the basics in a thread just today - here's the link: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post923290

For her, you'll have to adapt it to her laying down, but I think it could be done especially if you sit on the floor with her. The actual training involves her looking at the dumbbell, and when you get to the point where she needs to touch it you can just be sure to have it within range where she barely needs to stretch to reach it.

Also in that same area is a training discussion on how to teach dogs to put their heads into the collar, which can be adapted to fit your dog in whatever way you might want. The link is here: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post920556

It's so hard keeping an active dog confined. I know with Tazer (who is healthy but has to be confined at times because she is a destroyer) it has really helped to have chew bones and other things that engage her mouth.

Good luck, hope she heals quickly!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: games/training with CCL-tear dog in recovery?

Thank you, wonderfull suggestions. I love the scent exercises and the structured retrieve in particular. And the collar game -- I'll think up other targeting things too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page