10 week old german shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

10 week old german shepherd

Ok so my puppy is pretty playful, I dont take her for long walks its pretty cold out, i play with her alot in my room, she gets tired, then jumps on to the bed and sleeps. My main 2 questions are, what tricks should it know by now? It barely knows "come", she is pretty agressive to, not to my mom, but to me and my dad,(im 17/m) she is a great dog, and i do not beleive in hitting, i no puppys bite, nut she gets very nippy and isnt shy to aim to the face, and i cant have this as there is small children in the house, im consistant with the basic comands, im working on come and sit.
Is there certain tricks they should know by a certain age? will the biting stop as she grows?

Any info would be great

Thanks Jmaes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

Re: 10 week old german shepherd

By ten weeks mine had sit, down, speak, and was working on come.

A ten week old is not aggressive, just playful. Don't encourage really hyper play where the puppy gets all worked up around people and startes biting hands, pants, etc. Yes, they will bite at your face at this age, they don't mean anything by it. Some people yelp and turn away (like another puppy would), I just say "no bite!" in a serious voice and walk away from the puppy. He learns that getting rough means I leave and he has no one to play with. Also I make sure he has plenty of things TO bite. We play lots of tug and chasing rags and balls. He has many dog toys and chews.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

Good advice and info from Lies. Have you signed up for puppy classes, yet? You should be all prepared to jump into classes as soon as your vet gives the OK. Classes help LOADS!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks for the info and very quick replies. She has tons of toys, and i rigged this squeaky toy up to shoe laces to a hook in the roof, and she loves that. Yeah she loves the pants too, i kinda live outa town aways from the closest place that even offers classes, i read its important to be around other dogs, so i have the advantage of my sisters two dogs, a dalmation and chiauwaua.
Do any of you think if im consistant enough i could train it to be a good dog, in my home?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

James, classes are so much more than dog training. They teach you how to teach your dog, they help you and your dog bond, they help you work through problems, they're great for socialization in a controlled environment, they're just GREAT. PLEASE take classes, at least one puppy class and one basic obedience class with a GOOD trainer (not a petsmart/petco class) and you will be SO THRILLED you did.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

what would you say ages are for the puppy and obedience classes?

Yeah see i was thinking about what petsmart offers and thats still far from home.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Welcome!

At 10 weeks, mine also had sit/down/come/touch down pretty solid. Try doing some short training sessions with her, before you feed her. it really doesnt take much, they learn soo fast. Have you given any thought to how you will train? Clicker/Marker? There is alot of good information on this board, I'd suggest looking through all the /stickies and assimilating as much info as you can. Whatever training path you take, stick to it. Get her in a routine of what you expect from her. Start instituting the things you're going to want her to do...right now.

The biting...I know how you feel. Mine is 4.5 months, and he's still a little crocidile. Just be consistant, I've tried the Yelping technique. I know at first, he was biting kind of hard...but since teh yelping techinque..now he barely just mouths me. He is teething like crazy...just lost his first tooth..so I'm sure his jaws are screaming. I've been told they mellow out on the biting after they are done teething...I'm waiting to see myself. Good luck.

Puppy classes are a major +++++. If anything it will teach you how to train her. And it will introduce her to major distractions, and she still needs to listen to you even with that cute foo-foo dog so close...lol
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi James from another BC-er!

Your pup sounds totally AWESOME!!! I think you can be very proud of her! At 10 weeks old, don't worry so much about what she "should" know, and just enjoy her and continue having fun with her. There really isn't anything a 10 week old should know, except how to be a puppy, and how to have fun, and it seems you got those areas covered.

I didn't even start teaching my puppy any tricks or commands until he was 5 or 6 months old, but of course, you can start now, as you are doing. Remember that their attention span is equal to that of a goldfish at this age, so training sessions should only be about 5 minutes long, if that!

What I did with my pup is encourage behaviours that I wanted. For the first few months, I went through life with my pockets full of kibble and treats. Pup comes to me when he sees me? Good boy! Here is some treats! Going for a walk on leash and pup stops sniffing, trots up to my left side and raises his head to look at me? GOOD BOY!!! treats treats treat!!!!

Pup sits for me while I put his collar on? SUPER!!! Tons of treats!!!
At this stage, think more of shaping the behaviour you want, and less of "training". They are like 4 years old in pre-school, all play and fun, and they don't even realize that they are (sneakily) being taught things.

As for the nipping, that is normal play. Nothing agressive about it. That is how your puppy is trying to engage you to play with him, and puppies play a lot! Of course it hurts, and should be discouraged (the nipping - not the wanting to play with you), and you seem to be on the right track. The best way to deal with this is to ALWAYS have some puppy toy at hand, and re-direct her nipping you and others to a toy. As soon as she is starts, grab a toy, stuff it in her mouth, and tug!!! Get everyone in your household on board with this, as you pointed out, consistency is important!

She will outgrow the nipping, it should taper off by the time she is done teething about six months. So there is going to be a lot of nipping and re-directing to deal with until then.

She should be 100% supervised around small children, and I'm 100% serious about this. A puppy isn't any more responsible for her actions than a toddler, and nipping and rough play can accidently hurt a small child, especially as pup gets older. So if you are not 100% around to watch her, and your parents cannot watch her 100% of the time, keep her crated or baby-gated in another room, for her own good. You really want to avoid a situation where the pup jumps on a small child in play, hurts the child, and now the pup is "bad" and labeled a biter when it was puppy nipping excitment and normal puppy play! All can be avoided with proper supervision. As for the nipping the face, easy solution on that one: Keep your face out of reach!

Welcome to the forum by the way, I hope that you get lots of good info and help around here.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Just wanted to chime in that classes ROCK!!! Very true about needing to be around other dogs, but the more dogs you pup can interact with, the better! That is what classes are for! I have an older dog at home that my pup plays with all the time, but he was still shy around dogs he didn't know, so I go and continue going to classes with him to socialize him to new dogs, new people, new situations. I you live out of town, you will have to make an extra effort to take her INTO town, and get her used to strangers, noises, traffic, and everything and anything. This is super important, or you will end up with a pup that is fearful and unsure of anything new or unfamiliar.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JamesMackinwhat would you say ages are for the puppy and obedience classes?

Yeah see i was thinking about what petsmart offers and thats still far from home.
Mine started a puppy class and Schutzhund club at 11 weeks (waited until second set of shots). My club is a 45 minute drive each way and SchH club is 1.75 hours each way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page