Personality Based Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Personality Based Training

Personality Based Training.....I wanted to get your feedback on this since my book coming out in 4 months focuses on this. We have all heard so many different training techniques. While many are very good techniques, what I have found is that because all dogs are different, not all techniques work with all dogs. You need to identify your dog's personality and train your dog accordingly. **removed by Admin**
Your dog is one of 5 colors... RED.. ORANGE.. YELLOW.. GREEN.. BLUE...

I am really excited about this book, and I will be on the road starting in March to November for a 90 city book tour.

I wanted to share with your this personality based training method in this thread. I hope you all had a great holiday!!

Joel Silverman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Personality Based Training

I guess I dont get what feedback you are looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM

It makes sense to me. I have been a dog trainner for fifty years. No "big deal". Just trying to help folks sucessfully communicate with their dogs. I agree that like children,all dogs do not learn the same way. Different strokes for different dogs!!!
Good luck with your book. I look forward to reading it.
julies'omom

julies'omom

Annie, toy red poodle
Brandi Mini poodle
Julie v Kolenda, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

I am also a trainer and certainly dogs have different personalities - breed by breed as well as dog to dog in general. Any responsible trainer is going to help the handler find the best methods possible to communicate and train.

I can't offer feedback on your 'color based' personality theories, since I have no information on them.

Good ad though.

More information - or do we have to wait for the book?

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Knighted Member

I think he only posts here when he has something to promote - I rarely see any training advice, just pushing his website and now his book. So I doubt he really is looking for feedback, somehow.

My 20 years of training background tells me that there's a WHOLE lot more than five personalities in dogs.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: there's a WHOLE lot more than five personalities in dogs
Absolutely! And like us, different personalities during different situations. People who meet me during training sessions or AAT would think I'm extroverted. See me at a party and I am a wallflower. Both are the real me with my every day self somewhere in between.

Hope those colors overlap in that new book.

Nothing wrong with sharing what we believe in, but not quite right to just 'sell' it on a public board. Not meaning to be harsh - just my opinion.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Agree with Melanie.

I don't care for training that tries to fit all dogs (all animals for that matter) into narrow set categories. Work the dog that is on the end of the leash. Adapt your training to fit that dog. No two will ever be the same.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

So true. Unfortunately there are so many styles that believe that animal training "cookie cutter"... Many people fall into training all dogs the same way. I really believe that what works good for one dog may not work well for another.

I asked for your feedback because I want to hear it, and I think it adds some great conversation. Sometimes I get a little busy, but I really like the people on this site, and we have had some great conversations.

What I have found is that the basic things and ideas that many professional dog trainers, or people like yourselves understand, quite often the new dog owner does not. After being on the road at hundreds of events and speaking to many of these new dog owners, I have found they simply need direction. I thought that if the owner could identify the personality of the dog first, and understand what they were dealing with, the training would be a lot easier. That is whey I wrote the book.

Joel Silverman

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomI am also a trainer and certainly dogs have different personalities - breed by breed as well as dog to dog in general. Any responsible trainer is going to help the handler find the best methods possible to communicate and train.

I can't offer feedback on your 'color based' personality theories, since I have no information on them.

Good ad though.

More information - or do we have to wait for the book?
It probably would help if I gave you a little more info wouldn't it?

OK.. Here is the color chart...

<span style="color: #FF0000">RED</span> <span style="color: #FF6600">ORANGE</span> <span style="color: #FFFF00"><span style="color: #FFFF00"><span style="color: #FFCC00">YELLOW</span></span></span> <span style="color: #009900">GREEN</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">BLUE</span>

You can see that YELLOW is right in the middle.. MELLOW YELLOW..

Right next to that is ORANGE... the HIGH STRUNG DOG.... then on the outer edge is the OFF THE WALL .. RED DOG.

On the other side we have the GREEN.. THE APPREHENSIVE DOG...and on the outer edge we have the BLUE DOG... THE EXTREMELY TIMID AND SHY DOG.

The whole point is you would never train a BLUE DOG like a RED DOG. The tools you use...your mannerisms.. for example.. the way you talk, touch, move, reward, or correct your dog are sometimes as different as night as day with an EXTREMELY RED and EXTREMELY BLUE.

The greatest part is as your REDS and ORANGES begin to develop control and get trained, or GREENS and BLUES begin to develop that trust, they will begin to change colors and move toward the center of the color spectrum.

Joel Silverman

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen this scheme or something similar to it at work at some animal shelters. Bottom line is that it makes it easier for people to match dog personality to household personality. Wallflower people should have a wallflower dog and active go-getters should have active go-getter dogs. It's a good base, but I agree to tailoring a training program fitting the dog at the end of the leash, not the generalized version.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page