How to Treat Your Dog’s Wounds at Any Stage - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Administrator

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How to Treat Your Dog’s Wounds at Any Stage

Quote:
To ensure your dog’s injury heals properly, there are steps to follow from start to finish. Know from the get-go how to take care of your dog’s wound at every stage.

Do you know how to properly treat a wound if your dog is ever injured? To provide first aid right away and ensure your pet will feel relief and begin to heal promptly, check out the wound care tips below. And remember that you can always consult your veterinarian for advice, especially in the case of severe wounds and injuries.

Read more about How to Treat Your Dog’s Wounds at Any Stage at PetGuide.com.
ausdland likes this.

For Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

I have used the vetrycin plus in the past and liked the product. I was told though it was a watered down version of bleach which did make me want to not use it. Is this a safe product to use on wounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

Jenny, that rumor is absolutely false. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). Vetricyn is hypochlorous acid (HClO). That rumor started because those sound kind of similar (and they are related), but definitely not the same compound (the missing Na is a very big deal).

Hypochlorous acid is produced biologically by some white blood cells -- it's part of how they kill "invaders" in your body. Your cells zap viruses with hypochlorous acid! That's got nothing to do with bleach, diluted or otherwise. Think of it this way --hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and water (H2O) are "close" too, but you don't drink peroxide to live, and water is certainly not "diluted peroxide." Different stuff!

In fact, hypochlorous acid has been used by human hospitals for years for wound care and surgical site care. There is a body of peer-reviewed research on it in PubMed -- it's well studied. Here's an example:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25785777

Vetericyn also addresses this in their FAQ:
http://vetericyn.com/vetericyn-faqs/

FWIW, I've sprayed Vetericyn/Puricyn on a papercut on me to be sure it doesn't sting (Vetericyn is not FDA-approved for people but Puricyn is; same stuff as far as I can tell, and I needed to know before spraying a dog wound...). It feels like water sprayed on -- totally neutral. That cut healed astonishingly fast.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-18-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Crowned Member

Batman has a wound on his neck and the vetericyn is helping quite a bit. I actually have used it on myself and it did work and it worked well. I always have a bottle.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Jenny, that rumor is absolutely false. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). Vetricyn is hypochlorous acid (HClO). That rumor started because those sound kind of similar (and they are related), but definitely not the same compound (the missing Na is a very big deal).

Hypochlorous acid is produced biologically by some white blood cells -- it's part of how they kill "invaders" in your body. Your cells zap viruses with hypochlorous acid! That's got nothing to do with bleach, diluted or otherwise. Think of it this way --hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and water (H2O) are "close" too, but you don't drink peroxide to live, and water is certainly not "diluted peroxide." Different stuff!

In fact, hypochlorous acid has been used by human hospitals for years for wound care and surgical site care. There is a body of peer-reviewed research on it in PubMed -- it's well studied. Here's an example:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25785777

Vetericyn also addresses this in their FAQ:
http://vetericyn.com/vetericyn-faqs/

FWIW, I've sprayed Vetericyn/Puricyn on a papercut on me to be sure it doesn't sting (Vetericyn is not FDA-approved for people but Puricyn is; same stuff as far as I can tell, and I needed to know before spraying a dog wound...). It feels like water sprayed on -- totally neutral. That cut healed astonishingly fast.
Thanks much for this information it was a professional in the animal care field told me this so I was a bit puzzled. even though I had used this before Did not on use this on Max's incision as what I was told same as bleach. I looked it up and still confused. Max was to get his suture removed today. I did notice a spot on his incision that looked a little moist. When the technician took him in the back they decided to keep stitches in for another week because two areas where a little moist. They said to put antibiotic ointment on it but I am going to use the vetercyn and have no doubt this stuff will work. The timing of this thread was great. The plus side max was great at the vet and sure was happy it was a walk in and walk out even if he has to limit his activity and where the cone for another week. When we came home it was pouring out so I took Max's cone off to dry it with a towel a set it down and Luna and max grabbed the co w and playing tug of war with it trying to shreds. The cone was saved just in time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Batman has a wound on his neck and the vetericyn is helping quite a bit. I actually have used it on myself and it did work and it worked well. I always have a bottle.
It works great for horses to. I actually did get some in my eye once it never stung so never really questioned it until I heard this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page