AKC Announces The Most Popular Dogs In The U.S. For 2014 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

AKC Announces The Most Popular Dogs In The U.S. For 2014

Quote:
Talk about a never-ending winning streak! The American Kennel Club (AMK) has just released its list of 2014 Most Popular Dogs in the U.S., and the Labrador Retriever is holding firm to the top spot. This is the 24<sup>th</sup> year in a row the Lab has been the most popular breed in America, which makes it the longest consecutive reign at the top in AKC history. Long live the Lab!

Hereís the official Top 10 Most Popular Dog Breeds in the U.S. for 2014. Did your dog make the cut?
Find out more about the AKC Announces The Most Popular Dogs In The U.S. For 2014 at PetGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

The lab is first, but the gsd is second

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

I don't see what people see in labs. But lab owners maybe think the same of GSDs. Nah, everyone can see what people see in them. I would think Goldens would be more popular than Labradors. Can't figure that out really. I know someone who has labs. She works with them in classes and all. They are nice dogs. But I don't see them everywhere like a see GSDs.

Maybe it is like when you get a new Honda or a new Ford, you start picking them out everywhere you go. I just see sheps everywhere, and an occasional lab.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I don't see what people see in labs. But lab owners maybe think the same of GSDs. Nah, everyone can see what people see in them. I would think Goldens would be more popular than Labradors. Can't figure that out really. I know someone who has labs. She works with them in classes and all. They are nice dogs. But I don't see them everywhere like a see GSDs.

Maybe it is like when you get a new Honda or a new Ford, you start picking them out everywhere you go. I just see sheps everywhere, and an occasional lab.
Different strokes for different folks as they say! Like GSD, labs come in so many varieties. There are the working lab retrievers used as bird dogs, the more even yet still obedient service dogs, the BYB ones, etc. I also am not attracted to the lab (maybe the brown or reds, maybe, if I wanted that type of dog). The pups are cuteis though!

But honestly I am not that thrilled GSD is number 2. We still have the same problems with reputation and home owners insurance denials which tells me the vast majority of American pet owners who have the breed have ill bred, reactive animals or don't train and socialize their pet and let it run wild or worse, or both. We still have a huge number, rivaling Pitts ,in shelters from such failed homes. I'd rather we were last but with a gleaming reputation.

On the plus side, I love to be part of communities and with so many GSD that means lots of clubs and friends to meet! Plus, since dog sports are consistently gaining popularity and there seems to be a health/active movement in US rivaling the obesity epidemic, perhaps a significant portion are in sport homes or active homes or even retired working homes AND most importantly: it makes it easier to find GSD merchandise lol
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

Well in the pictures I do like number two! Boxer guy here so yeah.

But GSD's as number two???

I also just don't get it?? These are serious freaking dogs! And a lot of us that do indeed have our crap together can find out in a few months... that we need a bigger bag!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:12 AM
Elite Member

Yeah, I was bummed yet proud that GSD's were #2... Last thing we need is a popularity push of poorly bred Shepherds.. But I do believe they deserve to be so high I popularity as they prove their worthiness often and in so many ways. Still, it's that popularity that can be a major detriment to our wonderful breed.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I don't see what people see in labs. But lab owners maybe think the same of GSDs. Nah, everyone can see what people see in them.
I can honestly see a difference among the labs and GSDs I've met and can understand why labs are more popular for the majority of people. They're just easier to get along with...

There are two dogs in my house, a lab mix (pyrador specifically) who's honestly the sweetest and gentlest dog I've ever seen, great with absolutely everyone and a true pleasure. Then there's my dog, the GSD, who's needy and can be a huge pain in the rear a lot of the time... but I love my GSD more because he's bonded with me 100% and I'm willing to put up with his needs. A lot of GSDs that my friends have are neurotic or have behavioral issues that they've never completely resolved, but the labs other friends have are almost all very well balanced and stable; everyone loves their own dogs but some dogs make it harder for people outside the 'circle of trust' to like them. Additionally, my guess is that the price of having a more intelligent breed is the problems so many have with them. Labs are certainly not problem free, but the ones I know are much more stable.

No personal experience with goldens, I almost never see them around here to be honest...

Household dogs:
Jaeger - Tan and Black GSD - Rescued June 2014
Jonas - Pure White Pyrador - Not mine but might as well be...
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHelix View Post
I can honestly see a difference among the labs and GSDs I've met and can understand why labs are more popular for the majority of people. They're just easier to get along with...

There are two dogs in my house, a lab mix (pyrador specifically) who's honestly the sweetest and gentlest dog I've ever seen, great with absolutely everyone and a true pleasure. Then there's my dog, the GSD, who's needy and can be a huge pain in the rear a lot of the time... but I love my GSD more because he's bonded with me 100% and I'm willing to put up with his needs. A lot of GSDs that my friends have are neurotic or have behavioral issues that they've never completely resolved, but the labs other friends have are almost all very well balanced and stable; everyone loves their own dogs but some dogs make it harder for people outside the 'circle of trust' to like them. Additionally, my guess is that the price of having a more intelligent breed is the problems so many have with them. Labs are certainly not problem free, but the ones I know are much more stable.

No personal experience with goldens, I almost never see them around here to be honest...
Maybe, but, the only dogs that ever charge me in classes are chocolate labs. Ok, that was before that little terrier monster that is just totally crazy. But GSDs just seem easier to me than labs. All the labs I have ever seen give me the impression of Marly in Marly and Me.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Labs are great from a pet owner standpoint. Temperaments are usually good to fantastic and you can run the gambits drive wise. They are usually good environmentally too.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Knighted Member

We got our first Lab in 1982 before we had kids. She was very active, loved to walk, fetch and always needed to be in the same room as us. She passed at 14. We brought home our 2nd in 1997 and if anything she was even better then the first. Both were amazing with all kids, but really kept an eye on ours. Maybe the ones you see are like poorly bred GSD's or not raised properly. Having any breed so popular brings out poor breeders with money on their mind not quality.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page