Chinese herbs vet? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Chinese herbs vet?

I am fed up with my vet, I have been trying to figure out my pups digestive issues for months...and he just deworms him and puts him on a Science Diet prescription canned food each time.

So, i wanted to find a vet that supported raw feeding, thinking they would be more open minded...the only one I could find just moved here from California...and doesn't have an office yet. She sees patients in her barn and does acupuncture and Chinese herbs only. Sounds kinda witch doctory to me...

The vets name is Darcie Quam, I did a google search and she is indeed a certified vet.

This is her husbands website...who she is mentioned on...he does horse Chiropractic ..

http://www.horsefixer.com/services.html

I would rather not throw a way any more money on snake oil, what are your thoughts on this?

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Chinese herbs vet?

Oh, and don't mean to rush but I set up an appointment (out of desperation) so if you guys have any opinions one way or the other...sooner the better

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

I'm a real believer in Traditional Chinese Medicine for animals. The science behind it-- and it IS science-- is not "Western" thought nor even close to it. The reasoning behind what is done to help settle a digestive issue isn't the way we think about it at all. This is treating the entire system and not a teeny weeny symptom. The focus is balancing the system itself. Then, it lets the body maintain itself at the optimal balance. WOW... I have seen near miracles with this.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

I have Brady on herbs everyday!!!
sick of having him on Meds

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad that you made an appointment.

Doing only herbs and acupuncture allows her to not have to deal with a lot of conventional medicine that runs counter-intuitive to someone working with that type of medicine. I have been to both types of vets that do acupuncture and herbs -- one that only does that, and another that is a mix and works in a big practice. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

As for the type of medicine -- If you find the right practitioner that connects with your dog, they should be able to help a lot, in ways that conventional medicine can't.

I think it's cool that her husband does equine chiropractic. That says that she will know quite a few things outside of her certification, at least looking over the site that you posted.

Do be sure that you let us know how it goes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

I'll bring my dogs to any vet that might be able to help them. And the only way to know if someone can help them is to bring them to the vet.

Kind of circular, huh?

In the end, it helps to have an open mind, a discerning brain, and a watchful eye. If something sounds reasonable, try it. If it works, keep doing it. If it has bad effects, stop. If it doesn't seem to be helping (but it doesn't seem to hurt), try it a little longer and do some more research. If nothing helps, check out other options.

And the more you do this, the more you learn (how do you think some of us learned this stuff? We've had sick dogs!). And the more you'll trust your instincts.

I think that discontinuing using your existing vet is a good idea, BTW. Even if you opt to find another traditional vet as a back-up, leaving that other practice seems (to me, anyhow) like a wise idea. There are lots of good vets out there. Unfortunately, there are some less than adequate ones too. So, we keep searching.

Keep us posted. Good luck. I hope this works for you and your pup.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys, I was a little worried about it. I never knew there was any science to this old Chinese stuff.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Get this, when I called my now ex vet to get Axel's records they told me I would have to pay a 15 dollar processing fee!

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 PM

What are you serious? Thats crazy. That is ridiculous.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AxxelThanks guys, I was a little worried about it. I never knew there was any science to this old Chinese stuff.
It also depends on what you mean by science. There is science to it, but Western medicine hasn't yet found ways to measure all the things that are affected. Thus, if they can't measure it, it's difficult for that type of medicine to acknowledge the full benefits. Some of that is changing however.

http://www.saugertieswellness.com/scienceacup.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...re-cover_x.htm
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avh...ategoryId=47263

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page