Heart Worm Prevention - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Heart Worm Prevention

Curious if anyone forgoes traditional heart worm prevention medication for a natural or herbal treatment...???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Heart Worm Prevention

Nobody, huh? Oh well, I am going to check with my Herbalist regarding her opinion and will report back here.

I am also going to inquire with my Vet, who is holistic leaning in her views.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

It's the ONLY conventional stuff I use. I know some people use Black Walnut though.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

I had an adoption applicant who used black walnut and I told her we'd make an exception in our policy to adopt to her but I did ask for some literature about it so I could learn more and could make sure the dog would be protected - as heartworms are a very real problem around here. I never got anything. I'm a pretty conventional medicine person (except I definitely believe we over-vaccinate) but I'm open to learning new things. Has anyone ever seen any clinical trials or anything for some of these natural heartworm preventatives?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I should reword my original post with natural or herbal "prevention" rather than treatment.

I think Black Walnut can be tricky. It's my understanding that it's used as a heart worm treatment...and that is to get the worms out and fast. Something for me to follow-up on.

Thanks for replying.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: pupresqHas anyone ever seen any clinical trials or anything for some of these natural heartworm preventatives?
Not me but I am going to follow-up with my Herbalist and maybe she knows of some research and resources that I can share here.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I don't give my dogs herbal tinctures, but I add VitB, garlic and fresh dried herbs (italien mix) as mosqu. repellants to their diet in the summer.

There is no tincture to PREVENT heartworms. Not even the homeopathic nosode does.
My dogs stay indoors and I avoid hiking trips in the afternoon. When I take the dogs somewhere in the pm, I apply a mosquito repellant of essential oils.
Black Walnut (and the like) are pretty potent (toxic). I've used Black Walnut (and garlic= blood cleanser) to treat HW in my GSD and my vet has used my protocol successfully on other clients too. I would never use it as a preventative.

The only natural prevention for HW is to feed the best possible diet (incl. some supplements), keep the dog indoors during peek mosquito time (afternoon) and apply a mosquito repellant when they go out. It really does work.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for your reply.

I've got the diet and topical repellent covered. Well, the repellent is pretty much covered...I use it.

I have only been giving Heartgard during a few months of the year. I switched that over to Interceptor this year for a couple of months. The only time mosquitos are a problem are during walks and hikes in the woods during certain seasons, when it's wet and near standing bodies of water.

I feel like the idea of dogs readily getting heart worm is prevalent - that dogs MUST be on some kind of prevention because heart worm is rampant and lurking around every corner.

I'm going to continue my research. I've quit vaccinating over the past few years, just decided to stop titering, and I'd like to not give the heart worm prevention medication. But at this point I don't know enough about heart worm to make an educated decision.

My thoughts have been to add Neem and/or other safe, appropriate herbs into their food during the bad months. Because the biting flies are the worst offenders. The natural topical repellents work okay but not great. Maybe I just need to find the right combo of topical ingredients that work for our three.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaedchenI don't give my dogs herbal tinctures, but I add VitB, garlic and fresh dried herbs (italien mix) as mosqu. repellants to their diet in the summer.
That's prevention, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaedchenBlack Walnut (and the like) are pretty potent (toxic). I've used Black Walnut (and garlic= blood cleanser) to treat HW in my GSD and my vet has used my protocol successfully on other clients too. I would never use it as a preventative.
This is my understanding as well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

That's prevention, isn't it?

Yes in a way. You prevent that the dog gets bitten by a mosquito in the first place. Chemical "prevention" does nothing to prevent a mosquito from biting, but only kills the developing heartworm (and along the way the immune system slowly too).

If you decide to stop the "prevention", just test for HW every half year,- that way you can catch it early on and it's easily treatable. Don't be surprised if your dog tests negative though. After some time, you'll become more comfortable and as you're freed of your fears, you'll know that you're doing the right thing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

This article is pretty helpful, explaining how mosquitos transmit HW, the likelyhood of infection and importance of temperature.
Heartworm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page