non surgical alternatives to laminectomy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

non surgical alternatives to laminectomy?

My dog, now 7 years old, is facing a second laminectomy in the same disc. Two years ago he underwent surgery for a bulging disc at L7, and it worked well for a few months, then he got some symptoms back again. I think I didn't rest him long or well enough. Recently, it grew worse, when he leapt off a dog wash over me, onto the ground, about 4 feet or so. I got him an MRI, and he has significant material in the right side of that disc, compressing the nerves. He scuffs his feet when he walks, and has no muscle tone.

I'm wondering if I should have him go through surgery again, or try other alternatives. He's been on herbal supplements, and has had a couple acupuncture sessions, and sees a chiropractor regularly. Yet it still continues. But, he did get better for awhile, though I'm not sure that he had this much compression at that point.

Anyone have advice? Some websites to read? Thanks.

Tami and Borias

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Borias' blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

Re: non surgical alternatives to laminectomy?

What about stem cell therapy? Vet-stem is located in Poway and maybe they would be willing to work with you and your vet as a study to see if the results are beneficial?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

hmmm, I've heard about them. But I don't know if it can help a bulging disk. Afterwards, perhaps, but that material has to be removed. I guess there's not really an alternative to surgery for that. I did read about a solution injected in that dissolves material, but this vet I saw said that's an old thing that was a fad for awhile. Nobody does it now. Weird.

I'm afraid if Borias doesn't have surgery, and extremely fast, the neurological deficits will be permanent

Tami and Borias

(Borias' blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Maybe you could get with UC Davis to do an experimental procedure using the stem cells as a repair after they clean it out? Might be worth checking out. You would want to inject the cells at the same time as the clean up to help it heal better.

I had a horse who received I think Hyuronic acid injections in his vertebrea for arthritis, but the horses joints are easier to get into.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Crowned Member

Tells us about the response to the chiropractor and the acupuncture? Is the chiro a vet or not? Which one seemed to help the response the most? Was this before or after the last surgery? What herbal supplements?

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post791990

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page