Calendula Gel or Cream? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Calendula Gel or Cream?

I can't remember who on the board uses calenda for healing the skin, but I know it's someone -- 3K9? BWM?

I can't believe that I skinned my knee when I went camping -- ran into a boulder that was *under water* -- I had Indy in my arms, so I was more concerned about not dumping her than my knees at first.

When I got home, I bought the gel, and that acted very quickly, but I'm still not sure when to use which. Anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Calendula Gel or Cream?

My daughter uses it for my grandson when he gets a little diaper rash. She loves it.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

I use the gel for dogs. That is, it is human grade stuff but I use it on the dogs (and me too). It's OK so long as you don't have an open wound (like a rip in the skin showing flesh..)(Now I'm feeling nauseaus (sp) again...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks zyp. My friend has a recurring rash (not quite ezcema though), and we found that the psoriaflora helps real well with that -- never thought about the calendula!

middle - just don't think about the blood and flesh....ick....now you got me!

I've known about it for so long, and i don' know why I never really used it until recently. I was thinking that the gel would work well on the dogs -- it seems to dry very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

It's me!

I have both the cream and the gel but I prefer the cream. I like the one mixed with hypericum.

My new favorite thing for scrapes is this: http://www.thursdayplantation.com/Pr...intment30g.htm

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you BowWoMeow

I just purchased some stuff this morning, and also picked up the one with hypericum. I remember that also being mentioned, and it made sense to me to also treat the nerves.

That antisceptic ointment, with the tea tree oil, looks good too.

I almost never have a use for these things, but there is that occasion, and my mom also prefers to use some of this stuff.

Thanks again!!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'm treating Rafi's abscess with tea tree oil right now. It's on his back so he can't get to it. I'd never use it if he could lick it. It's working very well. I would also be putting the calendula-hypericum cream on it if I could find it!

I've got my mom hooked on calendula now. I think I told her to get it for her dog for something but now she uses it too.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It sure healed up my skinned knee FAST. I'm certainly a believer!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

I just bought some raw bulk calendula (dried marigold flower heads) and made a tea for some sick bunnies who have upset tummies. I give this tea to all the animals who have upset tummies. It is an amazing natural antibiotic and keeps the gut flora in perfect balance.

It works from the inside out too so you can make it into a tea and drink it, the taste is not bad, and it will heal skin problems that way too.

I once spent about $3k on vet bills investigating my amazon parrot's stinky poop. My vet consulted with top avian vets, even one who writes for BirdTalk, their conclusion was that she would have to stay on clavamox for life because if she came off it, the stink came right back.

Then I happened to mention it to an herbalist I was acquainted with and she said to give her calendula tea, which I did. Within a few days, the stink was gone, her poop was great and took her off the tea and the infection never returned. That was 6 years ago. She's still fine. The cost of the flower heads at the organic market was less than $1.

Rocky (GSD) has diarrhea right now for some reason and we noticed he has lost weight. So I order a pound of calendula and will put it in his food. I think he has a bug.

Anyway, it's great stuff! You can use too much and even just a little helps a lot!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I've been meaning to pick up some tea....I wonder if I can find it *not* in bulk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page