Bach Flowers: How to begin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bach Flowers: How to begin?

This coming week I wish to telephone my vet about beginning Grimm on the Bach flower essences reccomended by Maedchen (Thank you, Maedchen! ).

My question is, how do I begin this? An aquaintence said I cannot just try them, I could mess up my dog.. I must consult a homeopath. (gee.. she herself offers homeopath consultations for a fee... hmm.. ) Is this so? Can I begin Grimm on a Bach essence, or must I get a consultation done, etc. or else I would harm my dog?

The Bach essences are: Impatiens (most important), Vervain, and Chickory. Grimm's problem: He wants everything RIGHT NOW!! ... and, he'd like to control everything, too. Sigh. Food coming? "whine, whine, yammer yammer yammer!!" Going for a walk and DH comes along, who Grimm thinks he can/must be in charge of? "Yammer yammer YAMMER YAMMER!!" if DH strays a few yards from where we are walking. (control issues on Grimm's part) Dog over there he wants to meet RIGHT NOW?? "BA-WOO-WOO-WOOF!!" etc. hair up, leaning forwards, wrinkly forehead. He loves other dogs.. it's not a fear issue, it's frustration at not being able to initiate a thrilling party with the other dog. With training, ALL of these problems have gotten better... but the fire behind them, the urge to have stuff right that second, and control things, is overhwleming to Grimm and a constant undercurrent for him. I just want him to be able to be more at peace.

Can I just Bach flower essences from my vet and begin Grimm on them? Must I do these essences one at a time for a few weeks each, to be sure if it helps or does not help?

Note: Here in Bavaria, Bach flower essences must come through the pharmacy with a perscription, except Rescue Remedy.

Can anybody tell me how you began with a Bach Flower essence?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Bach Flowers: How to begin?

Also, any opinions on the Bach flower "vine?" Does it help bossy, domineering control-issue types find a slightly more peaceful state?

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

I don't believe Grimm is the Vine type- who are tyrans. What you see as being dominant is just his teenager temperament going overhead. , but he doesn't seem truly a bully to me.
If it makes you feel more confident get a consultation. There is no harm done when you try it on your own, though. Usually you should see results within a couple days, but if nothing changes after a week, you know the remedies were wrong.

You will prob. get the remedies all mixed together already in one bottle. They are given without food (wait atleast an hour before feeding), several times a day in some water.

I've given bachflowers for several years. Started with rescued dogs who had lots of issues (fear, trauma). I didn't want any potential side-effects you can get with homeopathics, so bachflower was the answer- they are so much more gentle and I have never seen any side effect. Have used them on my dogs and skin kids, too. If you read up on the remedy picture and try it for a couple days, there is really nothing that you can do wrong, IMO.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay Maedchen, thanks for replying. I'll just stick for now with the Impatiens-Chickory-Vervain. I feel comfortable without the consultation, just wanted to be certain I couldn't harm Grimm.

Okay, not with food but water... how is this done? Have him sit for an eye-dropper full of the Bach flower mixture mixed with water droppered into his mouth like giving a pill almost? I don't know when nor how often Grimm would be drinking water from his water bowl. Can I swirl a bit of honey onto the dropper, to encourage him to come for the treat and let me dropper it into his mouth?

I am excited about this, especially if you have seen it help rescues with issues. I am reading on websites about it now, as getting books is tough for me. This sounds like a potentially good way to help Grimm feel released from such strong urges, to give him more of a sense of peace.... be a bit more comfortable in his own skin.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

You don't want to use the dropper in Grimm's mouth- it will contaminate the bottle. I usually put the drops in a tablespoon of water and let it slide into the mouth by lifting the upper lip.

Patty, there's so much info about it on the internet, you really don't need to buy a book. But should you get one, I can recommend this one Bachflower remedies for Animals
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you Maedchen, this will, I think, be easy. Grimm will probably consider it a treat. DH will be ringing the vet this week so I can pick up a mixture for Grimm this week or next!

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay, I hit a snag. My vet does not do Bach flower, only homeopathy. I will have to try to find the Bach flower essences myself, maybe in a healthfood store (Reformhaus) or online.

If they are not specificly formulated "for pets," can they harm Grimm? (I think they have alcohol, or?)

Will the dosage on the bottle be as appropriate for a GSD as for a human?

I guess I will begin with Impatiens, when I can find/order it. Maedchen hit the nail right on the head-- Grimm's main frustration is his impatience. I want so much to give him some peace, some relief.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Don't take my word on it but you can use the human Bach's on dogs adjusting the dosage as recommended on the bottle. I think the Rescue Remedy for dogs on their website is just a mixture of the other essences.

When I asked about Bach's essences I was told to give him (my dog) Mimulus and Lark I think.. I never did do it but I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no difference between "human" and "dog" safe essences. But I think BE has a number on their website you can call to confirm or you can email them.

Also if you can't find it in stores ebay is a great place to get them (I think there is an ebay store that has all of them you can just browse through) Good luck :-)

*|*\\**//*|
*|**\v/***|
*} * **{
*}* c*** \
*/ * ***}\

Jack - 1.5 year old GSD! :-)

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know much about the Bach essences -- a warning to be careful with them if your dog is prone to pancreatitis -- even the small amounts of alcohol can cause problems (I speak from experience).

If you are using a homeopathic remedy, do not mix the two. Ideally, they shouldn't be used together at all. If they are, they need to be carefully separated, and I wouldn't give the bach essence within a week of trying a new homeopathic remedy. That's just me -- curious to see what Maedchen thinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTI don't know much about the Bach essences -- a warning to be careful with them if your dog is prone to pancreatitis -- even the small amounts of alcohol can cause problems (I speak from experience).
Sorry to be picking apart your message, lol.

Just so you know - and maybe you do - there are other high quality flower essence makers out there that do not use alcohol (brandy) as a preservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTIf you are using a homeopathic remedy, do not mix the two. Ideally, they shouldn't be used together at all. If they are, they need to be carefully separated, and I wouldn't give the bach essence within a week of trying a new homeopathic remedy. That's just me -- curious to see what Maedchen thinks.
I'm curious about this, as I've never been under the impression that homeopathy and flower essences could not be used at the same time. I don't know about "mixing" or "separating" either. I'll have to do some research on that. Flower essences do not contain any part of the actual plant material at all. It is vibrational, the essence of the plant, if that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page