Chinese Traditional/Bach flower 4 calm? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Chinese Traditional/Bach flower 4 calm?

I am looking for a natural, alternative therapy for Grimm. He has a problem I am going to try to explain here.. if I can. He is bombproof, rock solid nerves-- loves fireworks, jaclhammers ripping up pavement, and chainsaws at full throttle. You can't intimidate or frighten him-- he's rocksolid. BUT-- he is what might be called 'a nervous disposition.' Best I can explain-- in a new situation, he yammers, races about, is restless, vocally jabbering, etc. He does settle nicely on his own, of his own accord, after 5 minutes. (that is a lonnnng 5 mins.. he is big, i am not LOL) When he settles, he is not hyperalert, just calm.. then something in the new environment sets him off again.

And in general, in life, he is quick to react, be emotional, in his daily living experiences. This is hard to explain-- he reacts and gets excited easily. Changes in life are not easy for Grimm. He gets emotional, strongly so, too easily.. and being upset... upsets him. (best i can do to explain sorry)

I know in part this can to a degree be a training issue, and Grimm needs to know I am in control, but we do NILIF, we incorperate training into our daily living, etc. I need to find a way to soothe Grimm's *tendency* to get hyped up and upset in new situations and in general.

Anyone have experience in Bach flower, Chinese Traditional Medicine, homeopathy-- for calm? I want to balance Grimm's nervous fire and help him remain on a more even keel. Anyone have input regarding Bach flower, CTM, homeopathy for this?

I want to try to order the TTouch DVD, too.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Elite Member

Re: Chinese Traditional/Bach flower 4 calm?

Have you tried Turid Rugaas' calming signals in these situations?

I have used Reiki (am a practitioner), herbal medicine and flower remedies.

My favorite flower essences come from Green Hope Farm
http://www.greenhopeessences.com/ and they have an Animal Wellness collection of which a few sound like what you may be looking for.

For calming in a new situation which you anticipate in advance, I recommend Reiki above all. I have used it on extremely nervous, fearful animals when taking them to the vet with fantastic results. It is just great stuff and anyone can do it. There are lots of Reiki classes everywhere so try to find a teacher whom you feel comfortable with and take Levels I and II.

I think you will like it because it has so much to offer for everyone in your life and whatever type of things come up. The only thing is it can be time consuming. I usually spend 20-30 minutes for one issue at a time and I can't always do it because I have to be calm and relaxed too. And I am usually tired, exhausted, with way too much on my plate. But I have little amulets and mantras to help me stop time for just a minute and tune in to the Reiki energy and let it flow.

Just my pitch for something I know works great for my critters!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the Reiki reminder, Strongheart!

I have read Rugaas's Calming Signals book. Useful info there.

I am really looking for an herbal, Back flower, homeoptahy, or Chinese Traditional Medicine herbal treatment that will control his *tendency* to get overexcited, nervous, hyped up-- in general, throughout his daily living. I am looking for an herbal preparation that has worked well for others with dogs who need the excessive inner fire eased, quelled a bit.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Crowned Member

i have used "rescue remedy" and it does help. also look into lavender, alot of people spray it around the home for a calming effect on dogs and people. there are also grooming products with lavander that might help.

debbie

url
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dbbie, i looove the smell of lavender. Those lavender pillows are the best!

What about a daily herba Chinese Traditional Medicine preparation, used as a re-balancing supplement, basicly.. I am looking for something to re-balance him daily.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Crowned Member

nothing wrong with squirting him with lavander prep daily! lol!

debbie

url
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

Patti,
actually, it wouldn't hurt for you to start using lavander on yourself. he will associate a calming sense when your around him no matter where you guys are. worth a try, and since you yourself like lavender it won't be a hardship to start wearing it as perfume, better smelling than some of the holistic blends for sure!

debbie

url
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

Where would I buy lavander spray?

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What sort of herbal daily prep from Chinese Traditional Medicine can anyone siggest? I know not too many here follow CTM... but I am a HUGE believer after watching those herbs forever banish recurrent chronic perianal fistulas in my old GSD. AMAZING.

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

I can't really help you except to give you a couple links that might give you a start in finding what you're looking for.

This is for Bach Flower remedies. I don't see anyone listed for Germany, but they have some listings for some European countries:
http://www.bachcentre.com/
http://www.nelsons.net/

I posted this in the Senior Section but am not sure if you saw it or not. It's for the Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine store that's close to here. Maybe they can help you find someone in Germany that can help you find what you're looking for.
http://www.tcvm.com/

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page