UTI's? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

UTI's?

Are there any remedies and/or preventatives for UTI's? Anything that can be added/removed from a diet to help maintain a healthy UT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Elite Member

Re: UTI's?

I take it that you mean Urinary Tract Infections?

They are caused by bacteria. Due to a low acidity in the urinary tract, the bacteria are not automatically killed and can therefore start causing problems.

Apple cider vinegar ( 1 teaspoon in a small bowl of water) and cranberries can help here. Also, feeding raw with as little carbs (grains, rice, potatoes) as possible, is good.

If you don't feel like feeding raw, find a kibble with the least carbs in it. Especially NO potatoes, corn or other grains. Rice is preferrable above any of these, as it has a lower GI.

When I got my girl, she suffered from UTI. Since I switched her to a completely raw meal, the problem has disapeared. She never needed the vet's antibiotics.

Beau 5-7-1994 11-10-2006: Miss you, big guy
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

These guys have all been raw fed for over 4 years. I forgot about ACV. One wont eat cranberries but the three that have had UTI's in tha past I have started giving them cranberry pills as a suppliment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

I've got a whole arsenal in my cabinet! I like Solid Gold's Berry Blend the best. Chama sometimes leaks so I've got all kinds of stuff to strengthen the urinary tract too.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

I had a girl that had recurring UTIs for 2 years. I put her on cranberry capsule 3x/day for about 6 months, then dropped it to 2/day for the rest of her life. Never saw a UTI again.

Cranberry provides hippuric acid that acidifies the urine, which helps kill the bacteria AND it actually keeps the bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder. This acid works a bit differently than vitamin C and ACV. I use both Cranberry and Vitamin C, but my main weapon is the cranberry.

Cranberry is one of those funny things that quality really varies depending on the supplement manufacturer; I think even more so with this supplement than some of the others.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomI had a girl that had recurring UTIs for 2 years. I put her on cranberry capsule 3x/day for about 6 months, then dropped it to 2/day for the rest of her life. Never saw a UTI again.

Cranberry provides hippuric acid that acidifies the urine, which helps kill the bacteria AND it actually keeps the bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder. This acid works a bit differently than vitamin C and ACV. I use both Cranberry and Vitamin C, but my main weapon is the cranberry.

Cranberry is one of those funny things that quality really varies depending on the supplement manufacturer; I think even more so with this supplement than some of the others.
I too use the cranberry pills daily for a male GSD that was prone to the UTI and have not had one since. I give him one a day.

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom

I agree!
That's why I prefer the organic manufacturers over the regular.

Beau 5-7-1994 11-10-2006: Miss you, big guy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

I too have had great success with Solid Gold's Berry Balance. Nothing the Vet had her on helped or dissolved the crystals but after being on the Berry Balance for 2 weeks her pH was a 6 from a 9 and she was crystal free! The Vet was speechless.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I guess an update would be in order. I had her on 3/day for 2 weeks and now down to 2/day. The others all get 1/day as a preventative. Seems to be working fine for them. I also have been adding fresh blueberries, dehydrated cranberries and some blueberry yogurt (which is a HUGE hit) to their meals. It seems to be working great for us.

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Hey Ruq, are you able to find flavored yogurt that's not loaded with sugar? If so, where/brands?

(I worry about sugar being a problem because it can tweak yeast balances. Have you had issues with this?)

My pup has been running UTIs since I got her. I'm running out of ideas. If I can load her up on yogurt (she's not thrilled with plain yogurt), that might be useful as well.

(I'm giving acidophilus, but yogurt has other beneficial stuff too, as you know).

Thanks
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page