Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic vet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic vet

I am taking Akbar for the first time to a Holistic vet and was wondering how optimistic I should be. Akbar has been diagnosed with IBD and is currently on prednisone. Right now it is under control, but I was hoping to get him off of the prednisone. I hate the side effects the prednisone has.

I am also worried about the "healing crisis". I am new to this and have no idea how common that is.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic vet

A lot of dogs need to be on the pred at first to get things back under control and then can get off of it with very careful management of their diet. Sometimes this means a prescription diet and for some dogs, a home prepared diet can do wonders.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic

Basu had IBD and I treated him holistically with diet and supplements. It took a while (my learning curve was steep!) but I got it under control. I did cook for him for years using Pitcairn's book because until I got the IBD under control he could not eat kibble.

The supplement that helped the most was this one http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...c-7da31ccfcdae

combined with digestive enzymes. That Gi Support stuff was like a miracle!

I also had good luck with Phytomucil powder from Animals Apawthecary and Proper Nutrition Seacure.

You can check out a bunch of holistic stuff (with reviews) for IBD here:
http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/sea...terms=IBD&mf=0

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks you!

BowWowMeow - I had Akbar on a home coked diet for about a year and was giving him enzymes and probiotics and nothing seemed to work, not even a little bit of improvement. Maybe I wasn't using the right ones. I am trying to keep an open mind about the holistic vet and hopefully I will be able to take Akbar off of the prednisone. My goal some day is too be able to give him different foods. Right now, he only eats venison and rice from Wellness and Evo venison wet food (novel protein). He is not crazy about it and doesn't eat much. But he has always been like that, which drives me crazy. I was able to reduce his prednisone to 5mg once a day and his poop was good. It is just that he would eat less which leads me to believe that he is not feeling well. I heard that IBD can cause nausea, cramping and discomfort making you not want to eat.

How quickly did you start to see results with the GI support?

I have an appointment at Smith Ridge, South Salem, NY (Dr. Goldstein's office), so I am hoping that if anyone can help it would be him.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Martin Goldstein?????? If so you should be in great hands! He will help with a diet too, I bet. And it will have sweet potatoes in it! He's big on sweet potatoes!

That stuff worked really quickly for Basu. I actually use it now when any of mine have digestive problems.

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 041005.....I have an appointment at Smith Ridge, South Salem, NY (Dr. Goldstein's office), so I am hoping that if anyone can help it would be him...
I would love to have a consult with him -- what a learning experience that would be!!

In general, I have had mixed results with holistic vets. It's when I put my dogs' care completely in their hands that I get in trouble. Unless I'm an active participant, in terms of doing the research and participating in the treatment decisions, they don't do well. That just might be me though.

As for IBD and holistic *methods*, I think it really is the only way to treat this condition in the long run. With both of my dogs, I had to switch to homecooked diets and a good amount of supplementation to help heal.

I think that the term healing crisis is overused and misunderstood. Whenever a dog is being treated holistically and there is a downturn, it is almost always called a healing crisis. I don't think that's accurate.

I think it was actually from Goldstein's book that I finally learned about the healing crisis. The body gets stronger and stronger and finally has enough strength to tackle a disease process, so after a time of increasing well-being, the dog starts showing symptoms of the chronic illness. Most folks use it to refer to any downturn once a holistic method has been started. And also from Goldstein I learned that the body has to be ready to deal with this and you must go slowly -- there's a great example of this in his chapter on cancer -- I think he was talking about a poodle with a tumor. Have you read his book?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

I read his book! Please take really good notes in your appt! Lisa and I will be waiting anxiously to hear what he says!

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

"Please take really good notes in your appt!"

Or better yet, just video tape it!
I hope he doesn't charge outrageously.

Good luck!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Sorry guys not to dissappoint but I have an appointment with an associate in his office, not Dr. Goldstein himself. Dr. Goldstein is booked 3-5 months out and his consult is $420. The associate is $213. I don't want to wait that long for an appointment and I am new to the holistic thing so I decided to go with the associate. My appointment is on the 25th, so I will post that evening.

He has phone consults and so do the associates if anyone is interested. I have the introductory info pack if anyone would like me to PDF it to them.

They encourage you to bring in a tape recorder on your visit b/c it is alot to take in, so that is exactly what I will do.

LisaT - I am actually almost done with the book and it is very interesting. I agree with what you said, that you have to use your best judgment sometimes. I just got off the phone with my regular vet. I told her that Akbar is not to thrilled about eating his dog food, she suggested that if he loses weight from not eating enough, that we bring up the prednisone, which I do NOT agree with. I know that he is just sick of that nasty food. He ate broccoli and carrots this morning instead of his food. He would never before eat veggies. He is just sick of the same boring food and I know it. Sometimes we know best. The million dollar question is what can I give him that won't upset his stomach.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, $420. I wish I could charge for my time like that

I wonder if he doesn't like the food, or just feels crummy?

When you were homecooking, what type of diet were you feeding, protein sources? grains? etc?

What meat sources has he primarily been exposed to, both kibble and homecooked?

Other than probiotics and enzymes, were you supplementing? What enzymes were you using?

I found these:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post441913
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post447006
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...&Number=582137

What did you do after the last tests came back positive last Sept?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page