Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic vet - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Has anyone had any success w/ IBD and holistic

All the tests for were always normal. He had every test done at some point at least 2 times. The vet figured that he had IBD b/c he had the symptoms and his cobalamin/folate levels came back very low. sometimes, flagyll would help with the explosive diarrhea but it never got rid of the cow piles. Nothing helped with putting on weight. I tried solid gold enzymes and something from vitaminshope. I bought the refrigerated probiotics, I tried the optogest for GI issues and some something else. I dewormed him like 3 or 4 times. The tylan never did a thing. I tried high doses and low doses and nothing.

Part of not eating before was b/c he was feeling crappy, but now that he is on the prednisone, I don't think that is the issue anymore. I just think that he really hates the food. He really doesn't like any dog food and I buy all the best stuff. He will eat it for a bit and than get tired. I try to wait it out, which will work a bit but he won't eat enough. He was sooooo skinny for so long, so now that he is over 80lbs, i am afraid that he will get skinny again. He loves beef and will eat it all day long, the problem is that he can't have beef.

He can't have chicken or beef. He's tried bison and fish but doesn't like it. He's had lamb too. Right now he is on Wellness Venison and rice and Evo- venison-can. He doesn't really care for it .

when i was cooking for him, I was cooking turkey and potatoes and he was okay with the turkey and not really crazy about the potatoes. I always felt that his nutrition was lacking b/c that is all he ate. If I tried adding any veggies, he would pick them out. He will stand there eating for about 30 minutes and spit out a pea if it got in his mouth or eat around it.

The vet suggested the novel protein and that is why he is now on the Venison.
His stool is good with the food and he has gained weight on it, it is just that I think that he is sick of it now and not so willing to eat it anymore.

I really feel that the prednisone had to do more with him getting healthy again than the novel protein.

I would be willing to cook fresh venison to add to his food, but where would I even buy that and how expensive would that be. Rabbit is easier to find, but also pricey. I could afford this if it was a maltese, but not a GSD

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, please let me know. I appreciate any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

I forgot about the pred. If you get around to trying to wean off pred, you might try some cetyl myristoleate -- it helps with overall inflammation and some immune system problems. I just posted about it in the senior section.

Are you sure that there are no tick diseases? Has he ever been on tetracycline or doxycycline?

LOL -- I can just see him spitting out a single pea. They are so funny.

No chicken, no turkey, no beef, no fish (at least no fish for now).

Have you tried pork? have you tried frozen green beans? Have you tried a homecooked diet with no grains and no starches like potatoes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

He has never been on either of thos two medications. I think that he was once tested for the general tick test and the test was negative. I know there are more specific tests, put never did those. Why do you suggest ticks diseases? I am willing to have him checked. I just thought that since he has been having this problem for soooo long (1.5 years) it was IBD. Do you think that it might be a tick related thing for this long?

Re the pea - it was funny at first. I thought it was hilarious that he was so smart. His facial expression trying to spit out that **** pea was too much, like a human. He is our first and only dog (no children either), he is the center of attention. He does that with other foods if I try and sneak them in. If I puree it, then he just won't touch his food. Too much of something or the pieces are too big and he will spend 30 minutes picking out what he likes. People can't believe how fussy he is. There is a level of skill required to getting him to eat something, unless it is meat. Unfortuanately, I am not rich otherwise I would just buy him fresh venison and rabbit every week.

I have never done any homecooking without graines or starches. I tried the turkey and potaoes for about a year. At the time he wasn't on the prednisone and it didn't help. But what would I cook if I did home cook again? Anything affordable, he can't have - beef, turkey, chicken OR he doesn't like - fish.

Re the cetyl myristoleate. I read about this in Dr. Martin Goldstein's book. I was actually very eager to try it. I don't want to change anything right now and rock the boat. I will see what they say about the supplements.

Let me know if you have any suggestions on the homecooking.

Thank you, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

It seems like so many of the folks on the tick list have dogs that had these on-descript abdominal symptoms, and I know that NY is a tick area. Additionally, my dog was always negative for tick diseases, but is stools and inflammation cleared up with doxycycline, and there is another poster that used tetracycline to deal with her GSD's digestive problems. Just kinda curious. Maybe the wierd liver results had me thinking too.

Have you ever tried lean pork chops? If you're a member of Costco, they might be doable. Our Max gets lamb from there at $3.99 a pound. Still not cheap, but so much better than at the supermarket, and it's the only protein he can handle.

Have you tried any of the grainless foods? Or any of the kibbles with potatoes rather than rice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I always heard that GSDs don't do well on pork. I once gave it to him but this was before he was on the predinsone and had tons of inflammtion so of course he got diarrhea. I know now that anything I could have given him would have upset his stomach, but I am still a little scared to try and give it to him again. Plus, the vet really wanted something that he had never been exposed to and venison was it. I think if the venison thing doesn't work out then I will give the pork a shot.

I did try the duck and potaoe by natural balance and he ate it for a bit, but again this was before he got diagnosed with IBD. At the time, he was extremely finicky, throwing up and he wasn't on the prednisone. So I ended up buying something else b/c I didn't know any better.

I just found a company that has venison raw called Primal. I just ordered some and will give it a try. They also have pheasant and buffalo. It is pricey but will give it a shot. I figure the actual meat might open up his Akbar's appetite instead of that yucky dried kibble.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

My GSD does terrible on pork. My mixed breed does great on pork. Seems that when this comes up on the nutrition board here, the GSDs are mixed between doing well and doing terrible on it. It might be work a try, but I completely understand the hesitation.

Good luck, you've got a pretty tricky one on your hands!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Fee
Master Member

Interesting thread. I was just researching IBD holistic treatments myself as our GSD all of a sudden started having issues and internist thought there might be a suspicion of IBD. Ultrasound and x-ray, blood test all were normal and neither did she have the symptoms (she actually had the opposite: constipation and weight loss). Unfortunately she had to go off the raw diet for a while and is on a low residue diet (cooked - rice or potatoes with fish or rabbit) which seems to do the trick for the most part. Very frustrating not to have any answers - it got so bad that she had to have numerous enemas - never ever had any problems with that dog before. Always had a stomach like a pig.

I feel for you!!
As for the pork, we had a GSD and Mix who did well on it. Our current GSD didn't here but when she was in Germany she got nothing but and had no problems.

Best of luck and sending good thoughts for Akbar!!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe there is a magnesium deficiency?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Fee
Master Member

Good thought. I will check if that was tested. When we have recovered financially a bit I will bring her for accupuncture. Maybe that will help too. I was told it could also be an idiopathic large bowel motility disorder (although there is nothing in her genetics) or nerve dysfunction (she had an injury years ago).

I hope she can be put back on a raw diet - the cooked diet is terrible expensive and for the first time she gets a bit picky too. She had a six pounds weight loss (and she was at perfect weight before). Thankfully she didn't lose any more. Who would have thought that constipation could be as frustrating as diarrehea? Not me! In the beginning she had some mucous covered stool and a bout of diarrhea (never happened before either) so I guess that's why the suspicion of IBD at first but that went away. Pancreatitis test was normal too and so were several stool tests for worms.

Sorry, not to hijack the topic!!

Are any of you who feed a fish based diet worried about the mercury content? Since the rabbit is so expensive she only gets it once a week so it's mostly rice and fish. I alternate to potatoes and rabbit when she gets sick of it. Thanx.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Acupuncture is GREAT for digestive problems.

For IBD, I would be inclined not to do raw at first, but start with homecooking, and then slowly wean to raw. But I'm sure you will hear different opinions on that.

I used to feed a lot of salmon, but I'm worried about the mercury issue. I've been trying out sardines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page