Esther-C - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Esther-C

I was wondering if anyone might have some feedback on the use of Esther-C for hip dysplasia and joint injuries. My 6 year old GSD male pulled his back 2 weeks ago, he's been seen by the vet, had xrays done and was given Prednisone. Although the xrays were fine and she did not recommend any other treatment at that time, I decided to start him on Glyco Flex III. No definite diagnosis at this time (nearest MRI 12 hours away & ++ $$) and his rear is is getting better.

I read the article about how Esther-C may help hip dysplasia and other joint injuries. Has anyone used it? I would appreciate getting your input,

Thanks!

A dog is the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Re: Esther-C

Many of us here use Esther-C and this subject comes up frequently thankfully or I wouldn't have known about it myself. I've long had my mildly HD GSD Odin on supplements such as Glucosamine/Chondroitin, but some months ago started him on Esther-C as well after reading a thread here about it. MaggieRose and Tula gave me very helpful information. I started him out with a bit too much at 500 mg and the poor guy had serious diahria. I dropped him to 250 mgs by breaking the tablet in half for a week until he could adjust to it and he was much better. Then I brought him up to 500 mg for two weeks and now he's on 1000 mgs a day. It has made a HUGE difference in his quality of life! Although no cure for HD, it does indeed help them live with it much better than without it. My boy is bouncy again and the stiffness in getting up is long gone. We go skijoring together and he has no ill effects from the exercise. Esther-C is very much worth doing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so MUCH for the reply. I really appreciate your input. I'm hopeful that this will help him. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Both of my dogs are on 2000mg of Ester C per day. One has HD and the other has arthritis. I start with 250mg per meal and work up to 1000mg per meal. I use the capsules and open them up and mix them into the food.

If you don't get the results you want from the Glycoflex then I would try Longevity from Springtime Inc. Other people highly recommend Cosequin and I am about to try this Arthroplex and add MSM.

Be sure to do lots of on leash walking with your dog and aquatherapy is also good if you have water or a facility nearby.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Ester-C is calcium ascorbate. My dogs seem to do better, and can tolerate higher doses of, sodium ascorbate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 PM

But wouldn't that pass through there systems much more quickly? I seem to recall the idea behind Esther-C over regular C was that it would stay in the body longer and so do more good.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think that sodium ascorbate is "regular vitamin C". In fact, I don't know what "regular vitamin C" is off the top of my head! Ascorbic acid I think. When it's combined with any mineral, I think it's supposed to be easier on the stomach.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html

All I know is that with "regular C" and with Ester-C, my GSD gets really loose stools. Both dogs did well on the sodium ascorbate.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Konan has his follow up tomorrow at the vet and I am hoping that she's found an acceptable improvement in his rear. My biggest concern is what future lies ahead for him, so I can't thank you guys enough for all of your advice and input! I feel better just reading your success stories.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck at the appt, and kudos to you for looking into alternatives and figuring out a way to help your boy!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTI don't think that sodium ascorbate is "regular vitamin C". In fact, I don't know what "regular vitamin C" is off the top of my head! Ascorbic acid I think. When it's combined with any mineral, I think it's supposed to be easier on the stomach.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html

All I know is that with "regular C" and with Ester-C, my GSD gets really loose stools. Both dogs did well on the sodium ascorbate.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was comparing how quickly sodium passes through the system and how quickly regular vitamin C does. I didn't mean to imply that they are the same thing.

Yep, Odin had the loose stools when he had too high a dosage of Esther-C at first so I dropped him down to a smaller amount and gradually worked him up to higher levels. No problems and no loose stools. Since Esther-C is bonded to calcium and that is very key in bone and joint issues I'm going to stick with that. As you said, it's bonded with a mineral that way and one that would stay longer in the body than either sodium or regular C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page