Chiro Again? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy
Chiro Again?

Risa has some back issues. I don't know that it is ever not bothering her, but some days certainly seem worse than others. Fortunately she hasn't had any really noticibly bad days lately. Those days involve her not wanting to hop up onto the couch or bed and yelping.

I took her to get a chiropractic adjustment a month or two ago. The doctor wasn't sure if she'd fixed Ris' problem or not and sent me home with some Deramaxx to use when Ris' back is bothering her. I also was placed on the list to see the human chiro whenever he comes in (he only rarely comes in and then it's a first come, first serve basis with limited advanced notice). I haven't heard anything about the human chiro coming in and I wonder if I should just call and make an appointment for the regular doctor to take another pass at fixing Ris' back. Maybe do some X-rays too.

I haven't given her much of the Deramaxx. Partly because I'm not a huge fan of it but also I know it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

What do you think?

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Chiro Again?

How did Risa act after the adjustment? Did the vet do the adjustment? Has the vet had the training?

I think occasionally one adjustment might fix an acute problem, but with ongoing problems, some type of maintenance is usually helpful, even if it's every month or two. My mutts have to go about every 3 weeks cuz my girl has a chronic neurological problem.

post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Ris seemed fine after the adjustment. . .but then she acts like a crazy thing most of the time anyway. Whether she's in pain or not. That night she played hard with puppies which, looking back, may not have been the best idea.

The vet did do the adjustment and she has had training. She was recommended by my trainer whose dogs have been adjusted by her before. But Risa is not a calm and relaxed dog at the vet (anxious and scared) and was probably tight which I'm sure doesn't help when you're trying to adjust her.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Just listening to the post-treatment plan that you were given, it didn't sound like a typical chiro. Makes sense that it was the vet.

If you have her adjusted again (and I would), you could try to give a Scullcap and a St. John's Wort capsule a bit before hand to relieve some nerve pain and relax some of the muscles. I feed my skittish dog treats while she gets adjusted -- otherwise she would tolerate it because she is so sensitive.

post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ris did get treats as she was worked on to keep it a positive experience. She is getting better while she's there though she's still anxious. I'm sure the second time she'd probably be a bit more comfortable.

I really wish that human chiro would show up (and at a time when I could get Risa in) since I heard so many good things about him.

Thanks for the advice so far. It's been very helpful.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Crowned Member

I really like having a human chiro work on the dogs -- they do have a bit of a different perspective than most vet chiros, and I think usually they have a bit better hands because they are doing the same thing as their primary job all day every day. That being said, I'm sure it depends on the individual.

Indy was always anxious, and probably still is after year of getting adjusted. But when it's her turn, she just walks over to me and hurries me to start the feeding frenzy. Now I think she's only bothered on the real ouchy parts.

Hope you find something to help Ris soon!

post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well the vet seems to think the human chiro works miracles. Apparently they had a really ornery cat as a patient and after this guy worked on him he was like a whole new cat! So I have confidence he'd be good for Ris. But with Ris' general uncomfortableness (fear) of men, it might be more difficult to get her to allow him to do his job. I'd bring LOTS of treats.

I will probably call the vet after the Holiday and see if I can get Risa in to be worked on again.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Best of luck -- let us know how it goes if/when you get in!

post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Will do!

I have to call them this week to get her Heartguard refilled anyway and will probably try and set up an appointment when I go in to pick it up.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

i don't know if this was mentioned because i didn't read all the posts. but when i took a few of my gsd's to chiro before i always wondered why they did not heat up the muscles before hand like my chiro person does. it makes sense that if the tendons a muscles are heated up the adjustment goes in better. i was kind of discusted anyway with the vet chiro we were using. he came in and spent no more than 3-5 minutes doing a quick adjustment and charged 50.00, plus the fact that one of those dogs i took in their had a bad disc in his neck and he adjusted it the first time and it sent him into a relapse. after that we had to tell him not to adjust the neck, and he came close to doing it anyway until we said something. you really have to be careful. i have been tempted many times to use a human chiro for future dogs.

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page