Chiro Again? - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Master Member

Re: Chiro Again?

You're most welcome! I've PM'd you with some resources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

Good catch Robin -- my Indy has that back pain, and her hamstrings, and around the knees, are *always* tight. I think it's a chicken and the egg thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Master Member

LisaT: you should be able to release the hamstrings dramatically with some sportstherapy techniques by getting at the attachment points and then follow up with compression. It's tough with something that has been an issue for a while, muscle resisting release, especially with regard to fascia.

An easy technique that works great for superficial fascia release is skinrolling - applied along the spine and over the hind end completely, all the way to the knees. When an area is really stuck it becomes difficult to get your fingers in there to pick the skin up but it can be done with persistence. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I'd be happy to post a pic, if you'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Lisa, I finally tried that release. Not sure it really worked. Partly due to Ris being a bit uncooperative. She will lay on her side flat, but not while I'm right there with her. Then she tries to roll over onto her back or at the very least sticks her top leg into the air. I still tried it though and may try again later, hopefully with better results.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

post #105 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I have a question about the release exercise, Lisa. How often should I do it?

I did it twice on Saturday (she was more cooperative the second time), once Sunday, and again today. The last two times I did it, I noticed a lot of muscle spasming beneath my hands.

Just don't wanna overdo it.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #106 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well her back is still bugging her. Poor Mutt. Everytime I do the release exercise, her back spasms beneath my hands. And sometimes she pushes off me with her top leg. . .I'm sure it must feel odd to her.

I sent an email to one of the people from the links Myrika_Betula gave me (THANKS!). She's local so I hope maybe she can be of some assistance.

I hate trying to restrict Ris' activity or watch her sore later. She's such an active dog.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #107 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Myrika_BetulaLisaT: you should be able to release the hamstrings dramatically with some sportstherapy techniques by getting at the attachment points and then follow up with compression. It's tough with something that has been an issue for a while, muscle resisting release, especially with regard to fascia.

An easy technique that works great for superficial fascia release is skinrolling - applied along the spine and over the hind end completely, all the way to the knees. When an area is really stuck it becomes difficult to get your fingers in there to pick the skin up but it can be done with persistence. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I'd be happy to post a pic, if you'd like.
I would love to see a picture. I may have an idea, but I'm not sure.

I know that she finds Bowen therapy extremely painful, and doesn't seem to get that much relief from it. Gentle myofascial, and even light therapy and magnetic therapy work well on her.

post #108 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Crowned Member

Jamie,

I'm sorry, I've been off the board for awhile.

That's pretty intense the reaction that you are getting from Risa. Those spasms are releases. When they first start feeling them, they kinda freak and want them to stop. Indy quickly learned what , "breath" and "release" mean -- with Max it took forever, and he's still not so patient when I work on him. He's not as trusting in the process as Indy.

You can try that compression and release stuff all along her spine. Hopefully this person that you emailed might be able to help, and also might be able to teach you some things that you can do at home. I hope you can get an appt soon.

For Indy, she does require constant maintenance, but she also has a plate with 7 screws in her pelvis, and she has a neurological disease process. So I do bodywork at home, and keep up with the chiro. I have found that the two things that really help her are the cetyl myristoleate and also some alpha lipoic acid.

post #109 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Not a problem. Life is more important than the Internet anyway.

Poor Indy. But she's very lucky to have you so willing to go the extra mile to help her out.

Ris isn't to the point where she wants me to do the releases but she's fairly compliant. She's the type that will just put up with it, even if she doesn't like it. The worst she does is squirm. Hopefully I can get her to relax more. I sometimes wonder if she EVER calms down (curse of the reactive dog living in an apartment). I tried doing just some slow petting and massages over the weekend and all she wanted to do was get up and move or play with a toy. Pest. Yesterday evening I worked with her on being calm. I recently read that a dog laying on its side is more calm and, having just taught her to play dead a couple weeks ago, I started there. First I click/treated her for stopping her tail wags. Then I clicked her for longer 'no movement' on her side. Finally I waited until her eyelids got heavy and click/treated her. Hopefully, by continuing to do this, she'll learn to relax and I can have an easier time with the release exercises too!

Thanks again for all your help.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #110 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Master Member

LisaT: Great! ...do you want me to post it here, PM it, or post it in a new thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoI sent an email to one of the people from the links Myrika_Betula gave me (THANKS!). She's local so I hope maybe she can be of some assistance.
I'll keep my fingers and toes, and 12 paws crossed for you and Risa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page