Are oils/aromatherapy safe? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Are oils/aromatherapy safe?

I had the idea of maybe giving Bellamy some sort of oil that naturally calms him down. But are oils safe for dogs? I've tried searching online but some sources I found say that oils and diffusers should be kept away from dogs, so I'm a bit conflicted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Master Member

I doubt oils are going to have any calming effect on your dog.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I doubt oils are going to have any calming effect on your dog.
Why not? I've heard of people using them to calm their dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Master Member

The scientific evidence that oils have any emotional effect on people or dogs is very weak. The placebo effect is often at work. With people, they are doing several other things to calm themselves when using aromatherapy that could account for feeling calm, like deep breathing, soothing music, relaxed setting, etc. With people claiming to use oils to calm their dogs, what is their objective evidence? Or do they just say, "My dog is calmer after exposing him to oils." The expectancy effect is at work. Plus, some oils contain volatile organic compounds that can be harmful, but, while I think the risk is low, so is the benefit. Exercising and spending time with your dog will help more than anything.

Last edited by Chip Blasiole; 12-18-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

I've used EO's for many years for various purposes.

Works on "some" dogs.

Use only HIGH quality Therapeutic grade oils. "Cheap" is just that!

Must be diluted with a "carrier oil" before using. (dilute with sweet almond oil, grape seed oil etc.)

Most EO's not to be used around cats.

This article can give you some background: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...oils-for-dogs/

There are also: *Dog Appeasing Pheromones (DAP): Dog Appeasing Pheromone-Relieves Dog Anxiety For those with dogs suffering from panic attacks or phobia miseries, there is help in the form of the dog appeasing pheromone used in the pheromone therapy. Pheromone therapy has been very effective and successful in treating phobias and stress experienced by dogs. How can pheromone help in appeasing dogs? What are pheromones? Pheromones are natural chemicals within animals and are said to be the chemical that affects animal behavior. For dog appeasing pheromone therapy, pheromones are taken in through the nasal passage of the dog to produce a calming effect on one part of the brain that is connected to the dog’s behavior and emotion.

Moms
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
I've used EO's for many years for various purposes.

Works on "some" dogs.

Use only HIGH quality Therapeutic grade oils. "Cheap" is just that!

Must be diluted with a "carrier oil" before using. (dilute with sweet almond oil, grape seed oil etc.)

Most EO's not to be used around cats.

This article can give you some background: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...oils-for-dogs/

There are also: *Dog Appeasing Pheromones (DAP): Dog Appeasing Pheromone-Relieves Dog Anxiety For those with dogs suffering from panic attacks or phobia miseries, there is help in the form of the dog appeasing pheromone used in the pheromone therapy. Pheromone therapy has been very effective and successful in treating phobias and stress experienced by dogs. How can pheromone help in appeasing dogs? What are pheromones? Pheromones are natural chemicals within animals and are said to be the chemical that affects animal behavior. For dog appeasing pheromone therapy, pheromones are taken in through the nasal passage of the dog to produce a calming effect on one part of the brain that is connected to the dog’s behavior and emotion.

Moms
Thank you for that info! I will look into those sources
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Master Member

This is largely about making dollars out of "scents." There is no evidence that smelling different scents does anything. The idea of dogs having panic attacks and phobias is iffy at best. Is there a diagnostic criteria for dogs in order to diagnose these canine mental disorders? Does a vet require any special training in canine psychiatric disorders? I'd say weak nerves covers the topic a lot better. Rather than oils, people need to wake up and smell the roses. Vets, while often, well intentioned in the care of their patients, are often motivated to make a lot of money. They will offer cremation, which is done by an independent contractor, and mark up the price 100%. All they did was have the person with the cremation business come and pickup your dog and return the ashes to them. They provide temporary storage in their freezer until the dog is picked up. The same is often true of providing paw prints. If the crematory owner makes paw prints, the vet marks up the price 100% and does absolutely nothing. Think of the cost to euthanize a dog. It is often close to $100 for an injection. They are taking advantage of a pet's owner because of the emotionality that would be created if the owner had to euthanize his pet himself. They often promote high priced pet foods for digestive problems that are expensive and poor quality.

Last edited by Chip Blasiole; 12-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:56 PM

There actually is some research on human response to aromatherapy. One pilot study that I’m aware of found that aromatherapy with a combination of lavender, chamomile, and neroli oils reduced anxiety and blood pressure, and improved sleep quality in post-op coronary patients, vs. effectiveness of conventional nursing interventions. I’ll bet there’s more out there.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Master Member

You have to look at the methodology of the research and remembers that the "results" do not imply causality. Maybe the post-op coronary patients reported decreased anxiety and better sleep because they were getting more attention via the presentation of oils and the increased human contact in the process of presenting them. Plus, how did they determine that there was less anxiety and better sleep? Was it based on self report or something more objective?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Anxiety levels and sleep quality were assessed using standardized questionnaires. Even if you discount that data, blood pressure is directly measurable. The aroma therapy group had lower blood pressure.
Momto2GSDs and GypsyGhost like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page