Are oils/aromatherapy safe? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Administrator

If you avoid the oils that are considered risky for canines (Ylang Ylang, Pennyroyal, some others), it really can't hurt to try it.

It's not like giving your dog 4mgs of Xanax, it's a subtle physical change of the environment, assuming you're diffusing it.

Sometimes if we are in a better frame of mind, our dogs reflect positive changes too. So if diffusing oils makes you feel better, why not?

I diffuse certain oils in my office, I diffuse different ones at home. I like them, I think they have a positive effect on my environment. I know that when I'm in a good frame of mind, my dogs reflect the same.

Since there's no risk or exorbitant expense, I'm good with that level of "proof", for myself.

Lavender is a good one to try for mellow/bedtime. There are studies out there about sleep quality, anxiety, fight behavior, etc.

Here's one. I skimmed it.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/

Quote:
It was shown that lavender possesses an anticonflict effect in mice [15]. Continuous exposures to lavender essential oils for 7 days significantly inhibited anxiety- and depression-like behaviors tested by elevated plus-maze and forced swimming tests in rats [16]. Lavender oil produced significant antianxiety effects in the Geller conflict and the Vogel conflict tests in mice. Linalool, a major constituent of lavender oil, produced significant anticonflict effects in the Geller and Vogel tests; findings that were similar to those of lavender oil [17]. Effects of lavender oil were compared with chlordiazepoxide, as a reference anxiolytic, on open-field behavior in rats. Lavender oil exhibited antianxiety properties similar to those of chlordiazepoxide [18]. Anxiolytic effect of lavender was also compared with diazepam in elevated plus-maze test in the Mongolian gerbil. Exposure to lavender odor showed an anxiolytic profile similar to diazepam in female gerbils [19]. Investigation of the effects of inhaled linalool on anxiety, aggressiveness, and social interaction in mice showed anxiolytic properties in the light/dark test, increased social interaction, and decreased aggressive behavior [20].
And so on, and so on.

Very important note, though - no matter how much I like them, I do not expect any oil to cure disease or fix behavioral problems.
Momto2GSDs and GypsyGhost like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
If you avoid the oils that are considered risky for canines (Ylang Ylang, Pennyroyal, some others), it really can't hurt to try it.

It's not like giving your dog 4mgs of Xanax, it's a subtle physical change of the environment, assuming you're diffusing it.

Sometimes if we are in a better frame of mind, our dogs reflect positive changes too. So if diffusing oils makes you feel better, why not?

I diffuse certain oils in my office, I diffuse different ones at home. I like them, I think they have a positive effect on my environment. I know that when I'm in a good frame of mind, my dogs reflect the same.

Since there's no risk or exorbitant expense, I'm good with that level of "proof", for myself.

Lavender is a good one to try for mellow/bedtime. There are studies out there about sleep quality, anxiety, fight behavior, etc.

Here's one. I skimmed it.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/

And so on, and so on.

Very important note, though - no matter how much I like them, I do not expect any oil to cure disease or fix behavioral problems.
Of course! Nothing other than proper training can fix behavioral problems I'm hoping it will help both of us feel a little more at ease before or after going out. Thank you for the source and your input!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

Great post as always, WIBackpacker!

FWIW, there are some placebo effects that are probably 100% worth having. If diffusing oil turns out to be an owner placebo effect, I'll totally take it when I've got house full of stress and frustration getting mellowed out.

I've often used Aura Cacia's Mellow Mix (which contains a lot of lavender) It definitely makes me feel subjectively less stressed, and I have no doubt that gets reflected to the dogs. When I diffuse it, all the dogs sac out on their beds in the living room, near the diffuser...so I know they must at least like it, as there are beds available in other rooms away from the diffuser, and a dog door allowing them to go outside to escape any smell they don't like. (BONUS: the house also smells great when I'm diffusing that one, which is almost worth it all by itself, with 4 big dogs around!) ETA: OTOH, AC's "Chill Pill" blend always gives me a headache and makes me a little cranky. I have no idea why, but it happened so consistently that I'm not ever using it again!

I also diffuse eucalyptus oil when I have a foster dog recovering from kennel cough -- or an adult human recovering from a cough-related illness (URI/flu/chest cold). It's the same idea as the old Vick's Vapor Inhalant (now Vapopads) for an old-fashioned steam vaporizer, which many of us grew up with -- the oil just makes it easier to control how much you use, as you can make it very light in the diffuser to not overwhelm a room like the old stuff used to do. It's not going to "cure" a respiratory illness, but most people feel like they can breathe a little more comfortably while your immune system fights off the "bug"...and when you're miserable with the flu, that's no small thing.

FWIW, "certified pure therapeutic grade" actually a trademark owned by a MLM-company that sells very expensive oils...despite what people who sell the oils may claim. As far as I can tell in my research, the term has NO LEGAL MEANING, just whatever the company decides it means -- there's no third party organization that polices that term for an industry, no government body regulating it, and no system for the "grading" of the oil (like the USDA inspectors do for meat). That's why it all seems to be marketing hooey to me...so I'm not paying extra for it. (I admittedly do really like the smell of the "Thieves Blend" from one of those very pricey MLM companies....but there are other inexpensive dupes that are fair stand-ins at half the cost).

"Organic" is a highly regulated term that actually means something (and thus may be worth paying for). "100% pure" is also a term enforced regularly by courts. The mode of expression might also justify some price differences. That's something you'll have to decide based on your budget and needs. For spraying in a bathroom to chase off "toilet odors," or adding to a bottle of home-made cleaning solution, or dropping on a wool dryer ball to make laundry smell nice...I honestly don't know whether it matters....it's at least a question (though I generally tend to come down on the side of buying organic when possible due to the importance of sustainable agriculture for the planet). For supporting recovery of a sick person or dog, or even diffusing daily into living/working spaces, the argument is likely stronger.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page