apple cider vinegar - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
For a dog, is there any concern with everyday use between the full strength acidity when put in the food and the esophagus? For everyday human use, I read that it should be diluted so I make a lemony, Manuka honey and cinnamon drink for me. It has been an amazing energy booster for me. Wonder if that drink would be good for a dog also.

As long as it is mixed with the food or included in the water bowl, full strength Organic ACV is fine.

You "could" give honey but remember it is high in calories and can cause diarrhea in some dogs.

Manuka Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is fantastic for wounds or infections and hot spots.
The UMF strength must be at least 10 to 15+ for this type of use.

Raw "Local" Honey (from a honey farm close to where you live) has had success for some dog's allergy condition's.

Moms
Heartandsoul likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
• Up to 25# = ½ teaspoon per day
• 25# - 50# = 1 teaspoon per day
• 50# -75# = 2 teaspoons per day
• 75# 100# = 1 Tablespoon per day.

If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the Organic ACV with a Tablespoon or two of low fat/no salt meat broth, then drizzle over food.

Moms

Actually she seems to really like it. I have just been mixing it in with her food. Thanks for the table. That is helpful. I've got another question for you if you don't mind. I make my own bone broth, have for years to use as a base for soups and stuff. I usually put in an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic but they get strained out. I've been avoiding giving the dogs anything made with the broth because of the garlic and onions in the base but since they get strained out I don't know if I really need to worry?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Actually she seems to really like it. I have just been mixing it in with her food. Thanks for the table. That is helpful. I've got another question for you if you don't mind. I make my own bone broth have for years to use as a base for soups and stuff. I usually put in an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic but they get strained out. I've been avoiding giving the dogs anything made with the broth because of the garlic and onions in the base but since they get strained out I don't know if I really need to worry?

Garlic is fantastic for dog's!

Great medical properties if fed in the correct amounts! I have a list if you'd like it + statements of support by leading Vet's.

I also have a chart of proper amounts to feed. Some people here feed the Springtime Garlic Powder.

Next time you make your bone broth, just leave out the onions, which should not be fed to our pets.

Moms
shepherdmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
@shepherdmom

Make sure it is the Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
This has "the Mother" floating around in the bottle which holds the medicinal properties.

One of the most popular brands is Bragg's.

Moms
Thanks I just looked. I have Heinz but I will keep my eyes out for Bragg the next time.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Garlic is fantastic for dog's!

Great medical properties if fed in the correct amounts! I have a list if you'd like it + statements of support by leading Vet's.

I also have a chart of proper amounts to feed. Some people here feed the Springtime Garlic Powder.

Next time you make your bone broth, just leave out the onions, which should not be fed to our pets.

Moms
I would love charts and the statements of support by leading vets as I am really confused. Is there one type of garlic that is safer than others? I usually grab green garlic from the local farmers market in the spring and then later in the season they get in the regular kind and the elephant ear.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

how about this idea

instead of apple cider vinegar *Braggs raw unfiltered with mother * (not Heinz which is pasteurized !)
do some home fermenting of apples .

organic apples -- Body Ecology Culture Starter - clean glass jars - and away you go.

the dog , or yourself will get a multitude of benefits from the probiotics and fibre and pectin --- so much more
so easy to make
Heartandsoul likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
how about this idea

instead of apple cider vinegar *Braggs raw unfiltered with mother * (not Heinz which is pasteurized !)
do some home fermenting of apples .

organic apples -- Body Ecology Culture Starter - clean glass jars - and away you go.

the dog , or yourself will get a multitude of benefits from the probiotics and fibre and pectin --- so much more
so easy to make

Thanks for the idea. So far I have seen a decrease in the licking at herself so it appears to be working. I'm not sure I have a big enough kitchen to set up production of my own.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I would love charts and the statements of support by leading vets as I am really confused. Is there one type of garlic that is safer than others? I usually grab green garlic from the local farmers market in the spring and then later in the season they get in the regular kind and the elephant ear.
Garlic:

Dr. Dave Summers, Nutritionist: It was not until the late 1990s that research was done on the effect of garlic on dogs. In 2000 a research paper was published which tested a garlic extract on dogs. The dogs did not show any observable toxicity symptoms, but there was a definite effect on the red blood cells. In the conclusions the researchers stated: “we believe that foods containing garlic should be avoided for use in dogs.” This led to a flurry of warnings and panic that garlic should also be removed from dog foods. The problem with the researchers’ statement (and many of the subsequent quotations of the study) is that they did not consider the relevance of the level of garlic extract used in the experiment, compared to the level included in dog foods. In their research they fed a garlic extract equivalent to 60 g of garlic to dog weighing approximately 12 kg. A 12 kg dog will normally eat between 150 to 200 g of food. Therefore, if the food was about 30% garlic the researchers’ concerns would be valid. The Reality of Garlic in Dog Food: When garlic is added for flavor, the maximum usage level is around 3 g per kilogram of food. Our 12 kg dog eating 200 g of food would eat approximately 0.6 g per day. To achieve the health benefits of garlic, the usage level is around 1.5 g of garlic per kilogram of food. A 12 kg dog would eat about 0.3 g a day. It is very apparent that these levels are nowhere close to the levels used in their experiment, and at these levels research had not shown any effect of garlic on red blood cells. The confusion comes from not considering the dosage rate. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=125654427474116&story_fbid=643173 565722197

Garlic for Dogs - Health Benefits
Garlic has been used for thousands of years in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It contains at least 30 compounds that have been found to be useful for a variety of conditions from skin disorders to cancer. In fact, holistic veterinarians have been recommending garlic for many years for its multiple health benefits.
Below are the main health benefits of garlic for dogs:

· Boosting the Immune System
Garlic stimulates immune functions in the bloodstream by increasing the activities of killer cells (cells that seek out and destroy invading microbes and cancer cells). It is therefore beneficial for dogs with suppressed immune systems and dogs fighting cancer. Moderate garlic supplementation in the diets of even healthy dogs can boost their immunity and prevent cancer.
· Fighting Bacterial/Viral/Fungal Infections
Garlic is a powerful antimicrobial and antibiotic and is effective in fighting various forms of internal or external bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, including parasites (e.g tapeworms) and protozoan organisms (e.g. giardia).
Fresh garlic fed as part of a dog's diet can fight infections of the mouth, throat, respiratory tract, stomach, or intestines. Crushed garlic diluted in olive oil can be used as a topical antiseptic for minor injuries, ear infections or ear mites.
· Enhancing Liver Function
Garlic has detoxifying effects. At least six compounds contained in garlic can enhance liver function by helping the liver to eliminate toxins from the body, thereby preventing toxic accumulation that may lead to cancerous growths.
· Lowering Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels
Uncooked garlic mixed in with food helps to lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels in dogs, making it useful for certain breeds (e.g. miniature schnauzers, beagles) that are predisposed to hyperlipidemia, a condition in which the amount of fats (lipids) in the blood are elevated.
· Cardiovascular Tonic
A compound in garlic is effective at preventing blood clot formation in the vascular system. It can also reduce cholesterol levels and fat buildup in the arteries (atherosclerosis). Therefore, it is an excellent cardiovascular tonic for older dogs.
· Tick/Flea Repellent
The exact reason and extent of garlic's effect on tick and flea prevention is not clear. It may be due to the odor released through the dog's skin as the compounds in garlic are metabolized. Whatever the reason, there are a lot of anecdotal reports on the effectiveness of garlic (especially in combination with brewer's yeast) as a tick/flea repellent. http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html#top

>Dr. Lisa S. Newman,ND, PH.D. : Garlic itself simply does not contain the same concentration of thiosulphate as onions do. In fact, it is barely traceable in garlic, and is readily excreted from the body. Despite this, garlic is falling victim to mass hysteria. There are 51,174 websites devoted to warnings about the toxicity of garlic. Yet there is little scientific data to back this claim other than those small amounts of thiosulphate. There are still over 400,000 sites proclaiming the benefits of garlic, many from reputable holistic veterinarians who have widely used it in their practice for many years.
http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/is-garlic-safe-or-not/

>William PollaK DVM “Not only does it repel parasites internally, it also promotes gastrointestinal health and eases arthritic pain.”

>Martin Goldstein DVM: The Nature of Healing: pg. 63 – “Addresses digestive tract problems and it’s a very effective natural antidote to fleas. Pg. 148 – A natural antibiotic and aide in digestion, rich in vitamins A,B complex and C, proteins and trace minerals and it an excellent antibacterial agent and antioxidant. It may also boost liver function and prevent heart disease, cancer and other degenerative diseases---and basically do everything but make your pet fly! :+). Pg. 242 = Respiratory Problems: “Garlic, goldenseal, and propolis, all with natural antibiotic properties are also useful.”

>Earl Mindell – R.Ph., Ph.D. : Nutrition & Health for Dogs: pg. 90 – Garlic strengthens the immune system and has antibiotic, antiviral, and antiparasitic properties. Garlic has a long illustrious career as a healing agent. Garlic has been found to inactivate cancer-causing substances and aids in destroying parasite.
DOSE; 2 clove per day, depending on size of dog will help to maintain a strong immune system.” Pg. 130 – Garlic helps keep your dog’s blood and blood vessels clean, and it helps reduce blockages that may already exist. “

>Richard H. Pitcairn DVM: Natural Health for Dogs and Cats: Pg. 36 – “Not only is garlic tasty to many pets, it also helps to tone up the digestive tract and discourage worms and other parasites including fleas.” Pg. 87 – Garlic is also indicated for animals that tend to be overweight, suffer hip pain from arthritis or dysplasia.”
>Martin Zucker/Carvel Tiekert DVM (founder of American Holistic Vet Medical Assoc): The Veterinarians’ Guide To Natural Remedies for Dogs: pg. 158 Robert Golstein VMD: “Garlic is an all-around immune system and cardiovascular tonic.”

>Denise Flaim/Michael W. Fox DVM: The Holistic Dog Book: pg. 31 – Garlic is the too-good-to-be-true herb! Garlic stimulates liver function, flushes out toxins, and reduces free radicals that can cause cancer, boosts the immune system and acts as a germicide. In addition to helping stave off and treat viruses, tumors and parasites and fungus, garlic lovers high blood pressure and improves digestion. It is also a natural flea preventive.” Pg. 192 – Garlics abilities to stimulate immune function are arguably unrivaled in the plant world! It’s an inexpensive and invaluable supplement for your dogs’ diet, not just in the case of a cancer diagnosis, but THROUGHOUT HIS ENTIRE LIFE.”

>Dr. Karen Becker, DVM: “Other safe alternatives to chemical pest repellents include cedar oil (specifically formulated to be applied to pets) and natural food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) (both of which can be applied directly to your pet's skin and coat – follow label application instructions), and fresh garlic.”

>Dr. Deva Khalsa V.M.D., C.V.A., F.B.I.H. - a Fellow and Professor of the British Institute of Homeopathy: Natural Dog: “Modern science has also established the fact that garlic boosts immunity, gets rid of bacterial, viral and fungal infections, enhances liver function, helps detoxify the cells in the body, lowers cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and even fights cancer. Knowledge is a powerful thing, but astute pet owners should gather all the data about garlic before shunning this celebrated bulb. A study suggested that when garlic is fed in excessive quantities (5 grams of whole garlic per kilogram of the dog’s body weight), it might cause damage to the red blood cells of dogs. (See the study here) Considering the data presented in this study, the average 75 pound Golden Retriever would need to eat five full heads of garlic or about 75 cloves of garlic in each meal before there would be any adverse effect on the red blood cells. Similarly, a dog weighing a mere 10 lbs would need to eat 25 grams of garlic – about half an entire head of garlic, or about 6 to 8 garlic cloves in every meal to experience any adverse effects. Furthermore, the total reported adverse effects from garlic add up to a non-event over the past 22 years. The National Animal Supplement Council responsibly records both Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events resulting from the use of natural products.”

>Juliette de Bairacli Levy (Grandmother of everything natural): her book: The Complete Herbal Handbook For The Dog And Cat: “Add lots of garlic to the animals diet and put apple cider vinegar into the water bowl.” “Garlic repels fleas and internal parasites.”

>Marina Zacharias – Homeotoxicologist: “GARLIC: One of the most powerful and well-studied herbs. Russian scientists have acclaimed garlic as an internal purifier of the greatest importance. It is highly antiseptic and works throughout all parts of the body. It is used in many parts of the world as a general antibiotic. It is very effective on the digestive tract by stimulating secretions and gut contractions. Increased bile secretion cleanses the liver and aids in the detoxifying of the entire body. Garlic also improves the assimilation of vitamin B, which is particularly important to the nervous system. It also helps to increase the blood flow to the tissues, which in turn supplies greater oxygen to the cells for the much needed maintenance and repair functions of the body.”

>Gregory Tilford – Animal Herbalist: “Researchers have found that allicin may be more effective against harmful microbes than tetracycline; a frequently prescribed antibiotic drug2. And, unlike conventional antibiotics, garlic works against many forms of virus, and won’t compromise populations of beneficial flora in the digestive tract when ingested in the appropriate amounts.”

>Karen Rosenfeld The Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer- Canine holistic wellness adviser, dog behaviorist: “Garlic is a powerful, natural broad-spectrum antibiotic. Garlic is also an antioxidant, anti-allergen, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-protozoan, anti-viral and anti-carcinogen. Garlic contains germanium, an anti-cancer agent and an anti-protozoan. Garlic can also be used topically to treat specific ailments - for example ear mite infestation and ear infections.
Garlic also contains sulfur - a natural insect repellent!
When garlic is ingested in reasonable amounts there are no harmful results - only benefits.”

>Kymythy Schultze C.C.N., A.H.I.– Natural Nutrition For Dogs & Cats: Pg. 110 – Vegetables to add to diet: carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic, broccoli, squash, celery, parsley, ginger, wheatgrass.

>Andrea Partee: Author and natural heath care coach for dogs: “I feed garlic because common sense and an objective look at both the risks and benefits of garlic tell me it can provide great benefits to dogs with minimal risk.”
“Garlic is great for dogs that suffer from atopic dermatitis, as it stimulates the immune system and has anti-bacterial, as well as anti-fungalproperties. However, be aware that too much garlic can be toxic. Garlic is often used to control fleas as well. If you feed fresh garlic, use 1 clove per 10 to 30 pounds of body weight”

Per Dr. Pitcairn:
DOSAGE
*1/8 tsp to each cup of food
OR
*10 to 15 pounds – half a clove
*20 to 40 pounds – 1 clove
*45 to 70 pounds – 2 cloves
*75 to 90 pounds – 2 and a half cloves
*100 pounds and over – 3 cloves

I have used Dr. Pitcairn's chart for many years, on multiple dogs.
I use fresh regular garlic (organic when I can get it) put thru a press.

Another way, is to purchase a jar of Organic (chopped or minced) Garlic in WATER. Use measurements on jar for amount of cloves desired.

Also, here is the site for powdered Garlic I mentioned called Bug Off by Springtime. VERY easy to use: https://www.springtimeinc.com/produc...og-Supplements

*NOTES:

"Since garlic affects blood clotting don’t use it two weeks before any scheduled surgery." Dog's Naturally

*Garlic can interact with several types of medications. Here’s the short list:
· Immune suppressants
· Heart medications
· Chemotherapy drugs
· Blood thinners
· Insulin
· Antacids
· High blood pressure drugs.
Don’t use garlic if your dog is on any of these drugs.
Garlic For Dogs: Poison Or Medicine? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Hope that helps!
Moms
shepherdmom likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Thanks I just looked. I have Heinz but I will keep my eyes out for Bragg the next time.
Yes, the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is completely different from the processed plain vinegar's like Heinz.

You can purchase it at a local health food store. More and more grocery stores are now stocking it!

Moms
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yes, the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is completely different from the processed plain vinegar's like Heinz.

You can purchase it at a local health food store. More and more grocery stores are now stocking it!

Moms
So even though Heinz bottle says unfiltered with the mother it is still processed?

I am so lost as to what is or isn't processed or healthy anymore.

There is quite a debate here in my little town, the guy who runs a local farmers market will go out back and pick a tomato from his garden isn't considered as healthy as going to the big box store and buying one labeled as organic because he doesn't go through all the hoops and fill out all the paperwork to be considered organic. His is fresh grown picked in front of me and tastes a heck of a lot better than what I can buy in the store. Unfortunately a lot of people have gotten involved and are trying to make him jump through those paperwork hoops. Even though he is considered a small farmer and isn't supposed to need to go through those hoops. It's sad. I think they are going to put him out of business. So I will have no choice but to buy through walmart again. Ugh. Its not like we have a have a lot of choice here unless we want to drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page