Slippery Elm - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 AM
Crowned Member

Another thing -- I think the slippery elm by itself is sketchy tasting. It tastes like it smells.

However, mine LOVE bovine colostrum (I think it reminds them of nursing as puppies--their reactions are kind of funny). I can mix a scoop of bovine colostrum powder, open up a capsule of slippery elm, add some probiotic, and maybe a half a cup of filtered water, and most dogs will slurp it down. Their love of the colostrum overrides the slippery elm taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 AM

I don't think there is enough slippery elm in feedsentials to make a difference for a specific application. Its one of the much lower ingredients on the list, so you'd have to give an enormous amount of feedsentials to reach a helpful dose of slippery elm.
I bought slippery elm and I actually thought it smelled and tasted good lol (like oatmeal with brown sugar ) so I tried it myself for my stomach issues. Didn't notice any difference at all. When I've given it in the recommended dosage to my dogs, I never noticed it helping them either (it may or may not have, I just didn't see any effects.)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Elite Member

You may already know this or maybe someone has mentioned it-don't give it right before or right after medication because it can interfere with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy View Post
You may already know this or maybe someone has mentioned it-don't give it right before or right after medication because it can interfere with it.
important point!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:52 PM

can I just give the dry slippery elm mixed with the bland diet owie tummy food? or do I need to cook it in water or broth first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page