Skin Allergies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Skin Allergies

MY 6 YO male GS has had skin allergies off and on over the last 3+ years. They have gotten horribly bad these last 6months.

the 2 most recent Vet visits for this problem he received a steroid injection and was precribed Antibiotics and Anti-fungal. This strategy works well for 3 weeks or so. I suspect the biggest help is the steroid.

Not interested to keep the boy on antibiotics.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thank You,
JCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

This current thread has some great advice from Momsto2gsds: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ings-paws.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=jcellwood;7593978]the 2 most recent Vet visits for this problem he received a steroid injection and was precribed Antibiotics and Anti-fungal. This strategy works well for 3 weeks or so. I suspect the biggest help is the steroid.[QUOTE]

Some thoughts to consider:

Dr. Karen Becker DVM –
"Steroids (also called prednisone, cortisone or the nondescript “allergy shot”) are the least optimal treatment choice, as they work by suppressing your pet’s immune system. Steroids actually turn the immune system off, which improves the symptoms remarkably fast but doesn’t address the root issue of why your pet’s immune system is over-reacting in the first place. Not only can steroids have a negative effect on your pet’s liver, adrenal glands and kidneys, but suppressing your pet’s immune system with steroids also allows for opportunistic yeast and bacteria to grow on your pet’s skin, sometimes increasing the chances that antibiotics may be prescribed." Pets and Steroids - Heartbreaking testimonial of an animal on steroids
"Steroid medications are serious business for animals. They inhibit several normal GI processes and also suppress the immune system, allowing opportunistic disease-causing pathogens to colonize. Vets often use a different term for steroids, such as an “anti-inflammatory” shot or pill. I recommend you ask that your pet’s records to be marked with the words, “No steroids without owner’s consent” -- or your vet could prescribe them without your knowledge. Although there are rare life-threatening diseases for which treatment with steroids is sometimes warranted, the majority of steroids prescribed in veterinary medicine are for non-life threatening issues. If your dog or cat is itching, or is achy, you might receive a steroid medication to treat this minor condition. This is an unacceptable practice to me."
"Steroids / Cortisones are used many times for many different illness/disease, the reason for using them is to reduce inflammation and swelling only, they do not heal the animal. They work by suppressing the body's immune system not healing the body of the disease or illness! Inflammation and swelling are a normal part of the body's immune response. ..... Steroids do not cure anything, they only suppress the symptoms and drive them deeper within the system." Diana Hayes DIHom Dip Animal Homeopathy

"You take your dog to the vet with a skin infection. Your vet gives your dog a steroid injection. The skin infection clears up. Later, you discover your dog has kidney disease. Is there a clear connection between the steroid injection and your dog's diseased kidneys? You don't know. But we do know that steroids are known to damage kidneys. We also know, from the drug manufacturers' own data sheets, that steroids can cause liver damage, brittle bones, diabetes, adrenal insufficiency, an inability to deal with stress, and damage to the immune system." Catherine O'Driscoll

Cycle Chart:

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Do you know what he is allergic too? Foods, environment, fleas?

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

I'm in mid summer here at the moment. This season Nitro's skin has been practically non reactive. Here is what I'm doing differently from last summer.
What I noticed last summer was a dramatic skin improvement went he went to boarding kennels (a pet resort). He swam in the pool daily and had one or two beach walks. That was my key to Nitro's skin problem cause being environmental.
We bought air purifiers for our home before summer to help reduce our family allergy reactivity, one is in our bedroom (where Nitro sleeps at night) and the monster one is in the family area.
Nitro was fully shaved by his vet at the beginning of summer due to a suspected tick bite (no tick was found). I don't know if being shaved is a factor to his improved skin reactivity but thought I'd better mention it.
If I see him start to seriously lick his paws I spray on colloidal silver. If I need to wash him I dilute Chlorhexidine Surgical Scrub 4%. Ocassionally I use MicroTek spray on his coat.
Also, we keep the house airconditioned.
I take chilled water and a lump of ice for his drinking bowl to the dog park.
Diet wise (maybe or not a factor), I add bone broth to his kibble 2 or 3 times a week. He has offal with pumpkin, turmeric and a dash of sulphur powder 2 or 3 times a week, the rest of the time sardines are added to his kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page