Melatonin for situational anxiety??? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a product by Dr. Becker

Zen Pets: Dog/Cat Occasional Stress & Anxiety Relief

I was going to find a link for use in dogs regarding Ashwagandha, but reading this link, you may want to consider.

I have used 5HTP (in her product) myself and can vouch for it. I used it to get off Xanax.

I like how she breaks down each ingredient and why and where it's sourced.

I would skip the video and just read it

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Airline crates come in two pieces and are easy to put together. Simply assemble it in your back seat if it won't fit through the door.
Eddie when your dog carries on in the crate what is the result of her behaviour?
For the car you can use a leash on a prong or my preference a remote collar since you can operate it while driving to punish noise.

Dog training is simply offering a dog consequences for behaviors. I like barking, I reward it. I don't like it, I punish it. Punishment can be via voice, leash, hand, remote collars etc.
When I hear people say "that didn't work" the simple answer is you didn't do it with the timing and degree necessary to make it stop.
Punishment suppresses behavior. Thank you Mr Skinner.

Example
Nic the 8 month old lab likes to scream and cry in the crate. I crated Nic with some food after his morning walk. I was upstairs when I heard Nic starting to cry. I marked the moment with a loud NO then came downstairs went to the crate and physically corrected Nic and repeated NO. This was done 3 times each time the correction increased.
There was no need for a fourth time. Nic offered a behaviour that was successful for him in the past. However it quickly became clear that this would not succeed in the present. Cause and effect is very easy for most dogs to grasp when you present it to them the right way.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 03-15-2016 at 04:21 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:53 PM

I do have an airline crate in the attic that didn't think about, out of sight out of mind lol! I'll have my daughter help me get it in the car and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you all for the additional recommendations. A soft crate sounds like a possibility for future trips.
GB thanks for the Zen Pets link.

Oddly, we have discovered that she does ride a bit better in the car than the truck. Best guess there is the road noise from the larger tires may bother her ears.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page