Melatonin for situational anxiety??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:42 AM

Look into composure pro calming treats. You can get them off of amazon. That seems to be the only thing that consistently does what it needs to for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector3 View Post
Look into composure pro calming treats. You can get them off of amazon. That seems to be the only thing that consistently does what it needs to for us.
*sigh* She's has food sensitivities to several of the ingredients. But, Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Has anyone used or have experience with using melatonin for travel anxiety?

We recently made a 3.5 hour car trip that was less than pleasant. Whining, yawning, lip licking and general inability to settle. I resorted to a dose of Benadryl after more than and hour of this behavior. I would have given it sooner had I known I was going to have such an issue (and realized I had some with me). On the return trip I gave Benadryl 30 minutes before we left. While it helped it didn't last the whole trip. Effects wore off after about 3 hours.

Benadryl isn't my idea of an ideal solution for several reasons. I know that the vet has an arsenal of rx drugs but I would like to try something kinder and gentler with the least side effects if I can.

We'll be making this same trip again and would like to help everyone have a more pleasant ride.
Mine has similar issues in the car. He whines, pants for hours on end. We have a 5 hr trip we go on several times a year, and I want to take a screwdriver and stick in my ears so I don't have to hear him. I sent him to a professional trainer for board and train mainly for this issue. The guy said the only way he could get him to be acceptable in the car was using a bark collar. It works, but he is still uncomfortable, pants, and whines just low enough so he doesn't get shocked. Benadryl (@ 1 mg/lb) did nothing for us. Xanax didn't work since he had a massive reaction to it and we stopped using it. I tried to figure out a way to make him "be good". Long rides, frequent stops and go, ecollar, treats.....nothing worked for him. I hate how he pants and circles, and won't settle down. Every time we get close to the car, he tries to jump in, he doesn't avoid it, but he has this reaction. His whines are so loud and high pitch...its more like screaming.

Next dog has to be a mute....maybe someone can start breeding for that...

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
Mine has similar issues in the car. He whines, pants for hours on end. We have a 5 hr trip we go on several times a year, and I want to take a screwdriver and stick in my ears so I don't have to hear him. I sent him to a professional trainer for board and train mainly for this issue. The guy said the only way he could get him to be acceptable in the car was using a bark collar. It works, but he is still uncomfortable, pants, and whines just low enough so he doesn't get shocked. Benadryl (@ 1 mg/lb) did nothing for us. Xanax didn't work since he had a massive reaction to it and we stopped using it. I tried to figure out a way to make him "be good". Long rides, frequent stops and go, ecollar, treats.....nothing worked for him. I hate how he pants and circles, and won't settle down. Every time we get close to the car, he tries to jump in, he doesn't avoid it, but he has this reaction. His whines are so loud and high pitch...its more like screaming.

HahahahA! I know what you mean about the screwdriver in the ear, Newlie is so vocal all the time that sometimes I feel the same way....
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post

Oh dear! I think you have it worse than we do. Ziva doesn't scream. Just whine, pant, yawn, licks lips...rinse and repeat with some fidgeting thrown in for good measure.

I was able to talk to one of my vets techs today (we see each other at the park sometimes). She said to check in with the vet but that they do prescribe melatonin for anxiety and other issues and it has nearly zero side effects. So I think it will be worth a try. And it's inexpensive as well, so if it doesn't help we aren't out a bunch of cash. I'm hoping it works. Fingers crossed.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Update:
I did a trial run on a 40 minute ride giving 3 mg. of meletonin an hour before departure. It didn't help at all

I did consult with our vet before hand and she gave me a script for Xanax(not the way I really want to go) to try if the meletonin didn't work and I wanted to try it before our longer trip. So while on our outing I gave 1 mg. of Xanax to see if it would help on the ride home. We walked around for an hour before heading home. It was a disaster to say the least. Poor girl just couldn't get hold of herself. She was so stressed and couldn't seem to comprehend a simple sit command and seemed frantic just walking around. I attributed it to the Xanax Trip home was a very long 40 minutes.

I decided to give the Xanax a second try when she was in a calm state and then ride. It didn't help. Xanax also seemed to make her very uncoordinated as well.

Ended up going with 50 mg. of benadryl and sitting in the back seat with her while the hubs drove. It wasn't perfect but it was doable for the 3.5 hr. ride. On the return ride home we upped the benadryl to 75 mg. (vet approved dosage) and I again sat in the back with her. It went well. We had a calm dog with no whining, panting, lip licking or yawning.

I really wish the meletonin had worked. But, as much as would like to not use drugs. It seems if we need to travel any distance it will be benadryl for my girl.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

Many of the pet dogs I get in exhibit this issue. The best solution. Crate training.
In the house and in the car. Its ideal for dogs prone to anxiety or excessive eruptions of energy around the house.
a) Teaches the dog to settle
b) Prevents many symptoms of anxiety related behaviors including noise and destruction of property
c) Teaches the dog to handle long periods of time out of sight and contact with the handler and remain calm / balanced
d) You end up with a dog that travels well and can stay in strange places without destroying property or making messes.

For the car I like a nice tight airline style crate. For GSD size dogs a Large works fine and can fit in the back seat of most sedans.
The tight confines and feeling of being in a hole will actually create a sense of security and enforced calm.
Initially your dog may offer protest behaviors like whining and or barking. Ignore or punish these behaviors. I prefer punishment as its less ambiguous and erradicates the behaviour faster.

If you want to try some warmup exercises put the dog in the crate in the car and just leave her there for an hour or so without going anywhere while you work around the house or whatever.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Elite Member

Mine has similar issues and nothing has worked. Bark collar was working until recently and all of a sudden his is blowing it off and he continues to whine. Mine can sit in the car for hours and be fine. Once the car starts to move, all **** breaks loose.

I tried Xanax and it gave him the runs. I'm working on a couple of things and will update if I get good results.

Pedigree:
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:16 AM

One of my dogs has anxiety in the car too. Haven't tried a crate yet, I don't think I can get one in there lol! Worth a try though, he's so upset in the car. Please update if you find anything that works for you!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy831 View Post
One of my dogs has anxiety in the car too. Haven't tried a crate yet, I don't think I can get one in there lol! Worth a try though, he's so upset in the car. Please update if you find anything that works for you!
I have an Accord and a soft sided crate fits in there fine. Definitely try a crate, it may take care of your issues. Mine has some deeper issues that the crate isn't helping with.

Pedigree:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page